Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bare aluminum

Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bare aluminum

Dont want to start a steel vs. aluminum debate, just got a question about aluminum in general. If your going to abuse it, does it need to be painted or anything? Can I just leave it bare if I like the look?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jimmydarnell
Dont want to start a steel vs. aluminum debate, just got a question about aluminum in general. If your going to abuse it, does it need to be painted or anything? Can I just leave it bare if I like the look?
You can leave it bare.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't leave it bare for fear of rusting.. either paint it metal colored or clear coat the shit outa it..
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I wouldn't leave it bare for fear of rusting.. either paint it metal colored or clear coat the shit outa it..
Aluminum wont rust but will lose its luster when exposed to the weather just like aluminum boats do.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmydarnell
You can leave it bare.....however, that said. It WILL develop a thin "dust" of sorts as it is oxidizing. It will need to be cleaned more often if you want to retain the shiny appearance. IMO, bare aluminum looks sweet when left to the elements!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

There is no need to paint Aluminum. However you should wax it when you wax the rest.of the Jeep. This will bring back the like new shine and give it a layer of protection that keeps that shine longer.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKbender
There is no need to paint Aluminum. However you should wax it when you wax the rest.of the Jeep. This will bring back the like new shine and give it a layer of protection that keeps that shine longer.
+1 on leaving it bare and waxing/sealing. However, use a high quality wax to avoid white wax residue buildup or yellowing over time. Aluminum can also be "cleaned" with 000 steel wool or a soft Scotch Brite pad. This will remove oxidation and prevent pitting. You could also polish the aluminum, that's pretty easy. American Airlines planes are typically raw aluminum that has been polished. They do that to save the weight of paint to increase fuel efficiency

Trending Topics

Old 04-23-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks every one. Just went with the steal. The weight diff just wasnt there for me. But thats just me.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default flitz

Flitz makes a past that polishes aluminum really well. It's what they use on airplanes alot of times.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Aluminum doesn't rust. It immediately forms an aluminum oxide layer when it touches air and this molecularly thin ceramic layer shields it from further corrosion. I left my aluminum Spyderlocks bare because it was expensive and neither liquid paint nor powdercoat does well on wheels.

Quick Reply: bare aluminum