Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Banks Torque Tube Headers?

Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
Making those long drives in the underpowered JK is always a source of frustration. With a 6 speed manual and cruise control my leisurely highway drive is always interrupted when I look down at the speedometer and see I just dropped 10 miles per hour struggling up a hill and need to downshift. The Banks headers helped along with a thermal barrier powder coat job.

While I'm no expert in header design, they all work best within a certain portion of the rpm range. Long tubes equate to better low end response and more torque, shorties upper end hp. I honestly have no idea where you would weave a set of long tubes needing to be in the 20" range to be effective. The longer they are the thinner the diameter would need to be as well to maintain exhaust velocity. Makes no sense and then to flush it out with a dual exhaust and 1.75" pipes of proper exhaust design is a lot of work with little solution or gain.

Agreed would be very little gain on our 3.7s especially with true-duals, there would be very little if any needed backpressure, but you're off a little on the longtubes performance depending on the application, longtubes on a stroker say for example 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" stepped race headers provide a good amount of torque on the bottomend (or out of the hole for the drag racers) but provide an excellent midrange to topend throughout. It's all about the right combination, fuel-system, intake, cubic-inches, custom grind cam, head-flow, exhaust, custom dyno tuning, etc, all works together.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Long tube equal length headers create a pretty much immediate boost of torque and horsepower at the low to mid rpm range. While they certainly may provide gains over the entire range when compared to a cast manifold they will not outperform shorter headers designed for higher rpm ranges.

This is why headers are different for circle track racing and drag racing. In drag racing the long tubes are the way to go providing the hammer of low end torque and quick acceleration to higher rpms.

For circle track racing headers are shorter for maintaining performance at a higher more consistent rpm range. It isn't the hammer of torque these vehicles need, but the come along of horsepower to maintain speed.

For dirt track racing where a broader rpm range of horsepower and torque is needed is where you'll see the unequal length tubes that resemble the banks torque tubes. These unequal length short tube headers will provide a smoother torque curve with improvements over a broader range.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ryanm
I Love going west but its always depressing when you see that "Now entering Nebraska" sign on the way home. You know the next 8-10 hours are going to suck.
Going West is awesome, especially when you make out that first silhouette of the Rockies on the horizon. And yes, going back East is depressing, but I'm going to Ohio which is even worse than Nebraska
Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
Long tube equal length headers create a pretty much immediate boost of torque and horsepower at the low to mid rpm range. While they certainly may provide gains over the entire range when compared to a cast manifold they will not outperform shorter headers designed for higher rpm ranges.

This is why headers are different for circle track racing and drag racing. In drag racing the long tubes are the way to go providing the hammer of low end torque and quick acceleration to higher rpms.

For circle track racing headers are shorter for maintaining performance at a higher more consistent rpm range. It isn't the hammer of torque these vehicles need, but the come along of horsepower to maintain speed.

For dirt track racing where a broader rpm range of horsepower and torque is needed is where you'll see the unequal length tubes that resemble the banks torque tubes. These unequal length short tube headers will provide a smoother torque curve with improvements over a broader range.
Agree with the circle track info, what you say about these sounds good in theory but they only viable proof will be a benchmarked before/after dyno, otherwise it just sounds good on paper.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a note on this project... Your definitely talking about "real" money to have this done...

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/85601.pdf

All in all, header, coated, installed is going to be a $1400 mod.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

It's physics that's been understood for the last 40 years and maybe a little less for the multi tube length headers. I'm not an engineer, I don't have access to any type of pulse control nor flow measurement tools. Not much of that matters when the physics data has already been parsed and we're still left with shorter tubes making power at higher rpms and long tubes making power at lower rpms.

I'm sure Banks Engineering has lots of gear to check performance out. Not only have they been a breeding ground for some forward thinking performance products but have been serving as a consulting firm and test facility for the big 3 for more than 20 years.

Take a look under the hood of a JK and figure out how you're going to route long tubes. You're going to take out the Y tube to make it happen, and probably the Catalytic Converter. That's a way expensive upgrade, not even available, needing to be fabricated and with perhaps moving the torque curve. The Banks is available today and you will see moderate performance and fuel economy results as soon as its installed.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

does anybody have any increased HP & torque numbers yet?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nader
Any one have any more info on these? Dyno sheets, etc.

They look nice but there website gives very little info for a $500+ item.
I'd say 4-7 rwhp on a dyno absolute tops, more importantly these would probably never crack like a couple people have had happen on their stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i'm not expecting to gain hp but need to replace my cracked header
has anyone installed thease ?
any modifactoins needed ?
and is it something that can be installed with basic hand tool's any and all input would be GREAT
Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JMP8562
Well i'm not expecting to gain hp but need to replace my cracked header
has anyone installed thease ?
any modifactoins needed ?
and is it something that can be installed with basic hand tool's any and all input would be GREAT
See RIPP and their Long Tubes

Quick Reply: Banks Torque Tube Headers?