Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Banks Exhaust question

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Banks exhaust on a few years ago, could not get it to stop leaking so I welded it...
Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i ended up cutting that stock clamp too..i went out and got U clamps that were a little more rugged, and the way these ones are, they clamp right where the slits start (where it looks like a half circle or a U and the other half of the clamp is pinching onto the pipe where there is NO slits, sealing the pipe underneath it as well..no way for air to escape. tightened them down to 35 ft lbs, and 40 ft lbs where it meets the Y pipe, and so far my friend and i can't hear or feel any more leaks, but can see a drip of water or two making it out...doubt i can get them water tighter without sealing or welding them completely, but as long as it sounds good, then to hell with it! going to let it go through some heat cycles, and then tighten them down again, maybe even a bit tighter even if it sounds good, just to be sure. So far though, I love the way this kit sounds!!! HUGE difference in just changing those clamps!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

i give up..after getting the bolts as tight as i could, still getting a drop of water or two idling. WELDING IT.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saharastyle1354
i give up..after getting the bolts as tight as i could, still getting a drop of water or two idling. WELDING IT.
Why not just leave it alone. It's just condensation. I guess it just doesn't bother me enough to go through the trouble of welding it. And I have a welder.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

im way too OCD to leave it alone lol..a family i grew up playing hockey with..oldest brother does fabrication and paint..his brother said he'd do it..just waiting for a call back!

Last edited by saharastyle1354; 10-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Serg5000
Why not just leave it alone. It's just condensation. I guess it just doesn't bother me enough to go through the trouble of welding it. And I have a welder.
a friend says he wouldn't worry as well, but my stepdad (been building, messing around with cars/trucks his entire life) told me that on his banks kit, he reefed all of the bolts down as hard as he could..no leaks, and that nothing should be coming out AT ALL. is condensation a bad thing? just didnt know if that signifies a weak seal and gases/air could escape now or later. should i worry about drips of water if i don't hear or feel any air leaks?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

so basically, i think i have the air leaks fixed..its just tiny tiny amounts of condensation, but i should note that upon startup and when giving it gas, i hear no leaks, and moisture steadily flows out of the tailpipe..is a little condensation normal at these clamps joints?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Exhaust systems aren't designed to be "water tight". Clamp it and leave it alone, It'll be fine.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmdchewie
Exhaust systems aren't designed to be "water tight". Clamp it and leave it alone, It'll be fine.
thats why i love the JK forum...now i can sleep easier tonight..thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by saharastyle1354
thats why i love the JK forum...now i can sleep easier tonight..thanks!
No problem, glad I could help out.

Quick Reply: Banks Exhaust question