Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Balll Joint Installation -- Axle Shaft Question and Other Concerns....

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balll Joint Installation -- Axle Shaft Question and Other Concerns....

I'm replacing my ball joints this weekend. This is my first time doing this. My buddy is letting me borrow his ball joint press. I've been watching plenty of online videos on how to do the install, but I still need further clarification on a few things to ensure everything goes smoothly....

Questions:

1) When reinstalling the axle shaft(s), how do I ensure that I correctly placed the axle shaft(s) back into the axle housing?

2) What tools do I need to make the job easier? And feel free to correct this list, but so far I believe I need the ball joint press, 21mm socket/wrench, 35mm socket, 12-13mm ratchet, 1/8" socket and wrench, 1/2" breaker bar, and a pickle tooth pry bar. Anything else? Anything wrong with this list? Do I need floor jacks or will my one spare tire jack be sufficient enough to keep the axle up while doing the install?

3) Anything I should watch out for when having to remove the sensor (I think it's the ABS brake)? How should I go about removing this properly?

4) If you happen to know, what should my torque settings be when reinstalling all the bolts and nuts?

Thank you!

If you have any tips and advice, please share.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would support the axle with a sturdy jack stand.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GON WHLN
#1: just make sure when sliding the axle in to keep it as centered in the housing as possible to not tear the inner seal, wiggle it slightly once it meets the carrier and it should slip in easily.

#3 just unplug the sensor if your worried about damaging it then remove the 8mm bolt on the backside and pull out the sensor. No worries there
x2.

And NO do NOT use your factory jack. Those scissor jacks, especially when your pulling and prying and pushing are prone to fold over on themselves....I've had it happen.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you all so much for the quick replies. I greatly appreciate it! Definitely going to add jacks to my shopping list then. Do I just need one jack or is two better?

Anyone else, keep the tips and advice coming please!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Thank you all so much for the quick replies. I greatly appreciate it! Definitely going to add jacks to my shopping list then. Do I just need one jack or is two better?

Anyone else, keep the tips and advice coming please!
I was at O'riellys auto parts the other day and for 40 bucks they had a hydrolic jack with 2 free jack stands. Your jack will work fine for lifting it, but put the side your working on on a jack stand (under the axle housing) after that. And to be honest a hydraulic jack is always good to have. 1 time using that pos that comes with the jeep and youll know it
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

I plan to head to O'Reily's later today to do a little shopping. Will definitely look into that great deal. And, as stated already, the axle shafts just slide out. So I don't think that'll be too bad. Again, thank you all and keep the tips and advice coming
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

A BFH is pretty handy with removing the ball joints (something like a 3 lb hammer). And yea, buy the jack stands. I only thought i'd need them once but have ended up using them multiple times.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Thank you all. I can't wait to get started on this project. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the right tools and all the online video tutorials I've been watching.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck! I did mine... Serious PITA, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. The new joints are TOUGH to get in... And make sure you get them seated correctly to start with before pressing in. Make sure you have a good press kit... The upper has a slant to the bottom that can be a pain if you don't have the proper press kit. My axles were a pain to get loose from the steering knuckle. I also screwed up my axle seal when putting my axle back in. Have fun!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Harbor Freight on Bell Road and pick up their 6 ton jackstands. Only about 45 bucks and solid. Much better than 3 ton stands.

Quick Reply: Balll Joint Installation -- Axle Shaft Question and Other Concerns....