Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:53 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Refer to posts #10 & 17.
1500 miles? You better be able to see the part snapped in half before some dude tells you it failed. Turns out the only thing that failed here is the schooling of the dude that said it
Old 03-31-2015, 12:04 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Tim08JK
Both sound like common issues with bad ball joints to me.
I don't know...things might have changed since the old days...Used to be you knew you had a bad non greasable ball joint when after about 100,000 miles a lower one would let go usually when rolling almost to a stop at a sign or red light. Around 2-5 mph. You'd then have a hub cap aiming skyward-get towed-and that one ball joint got replaced.
Maybe things have changed and shimmying and pulling to one side is a new feature of a failing ball joint Or not.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

I've always thought that bad ball joints could cause a shimmy in the steering wheel/pulling left or right, however I could be wrong.

Update: Third shop just called and said the ball joints are perfectly fine. So, I don't know what the first shop was thinking. Perhaps they were just being dishonest? Either way, I'm never going back there.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim08JK
I've always thought that bad ball joints could cause a shimmy in the steering wheel/pulling left or right, however I could be wrong.
They can cause problems, but it also depends on what else is worn in the system.

I kept track of the wear on mine, and changed them when they reached 0.050" vertical play. They never did cause any problems that I noticed, probably due to how gradually they wore. After replacement, the front suspension was quieter and more solid over bumps.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Derek1976
Well this sucks, i just got my synergy ball joints from Northridge4x4 last week. What would you guys recommend doing, i haven't installed them yet. Should i take my chance and put them in? try sendIng them back to Northridge? (Will they take them back?) Another thing i noticed they are knurled. I think it was the teraflex video they advised against using knurled unless you had a sloppy fit or if knurled was previously used.

Just install them. So far I have over 2k on a brand new set with my prorock44. If you use the right tools it's a easy job

Quick Reply: Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!