Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome @espi these look great.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim08JK
I'd rather just play it safe and go with Moog this time around. The thing is, yeah, the warranty is great as far as getting a free replacement but it doesn't cover labor. I'm not willing to take the chance of them failing in another 1500 miles then having to shell out a few hundred on labor again. I'd rather just get a refund, which hopefully is possible.
Run Napa golds. I have ALOT of miles on mine and they are still solid.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

A lot of folks misunderstand what lifetime warranty legally means: Nothing. The term you want is unlimited warranty. That has a legal definition. Lifetime warranty may mean for the life of the product. Brake pads are warranted against defects until they are worn down. You don't walk into O'Reilly's and get a new set free just because they were lifetime warrantied (as I witnessed just a few months ago when one misinformed consumer learned the truth). Limited and Unlimited Warranty: These terms have legal definitions. Everything else is marketing speak...

http://www.lifetimewarrantymyths.com/#2865
Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest
Question, when you refer to "Alloy" you're referring to US Alloy ball joints?
correct
Old 03-29-2015, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

So like many of you all I buy tons of stuff from northridge4x4 and have ran into a alot of problems with products etc. David is a stand up guy and always made it right and then some.

I runs lot of synergy products, as for the ball joints alot of people have had problems with premature failure and most likely will continue to happen.

I had a new set go bad within the first 12 months. Synergy will honor the warranty after they review the claim/inspect the ball joints.

I still continue to run their ball joints for now.. depending how long my new set lasts I might switch to alloy. Only because if have to changed them every 2 years it will be cheaper.

***also, synergy told me they all come pre-greased. How do I know? For the life of me I can't get the zerks to take grease with my rcvs.

If you decide to change the ball joints yourself PLEASE get the right tools/press and adapters. Life will be that much easier.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Those RP ball joints look sweet.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Measured the amount of play this morning, about a 1/16th of an inch on the top and bottom with no side to side movement (that I could see). Spoke to Northridge and was told that they are perfectly fine and its nothing to worry about. Going to try and see if I can get a second opinion from another local shop, just to make sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim08JK
Measured the amount of play this morning, about a 1/16th of an inch on the top and bottom with no side to side movement (that I could see). Spoke to Northridge and was told that they are perfectly fine and its nothing to worry about. Going to try and see if I can get a second opinion from another local shop, just to make sure.
According to the JK service manual, max vertical play in the lower ball joint is 0.050", which is just shy of 1/16" (it is 0.8/16").

Have them measured with a dial indicator since warranty coverage often depends on "splitting hairs".
Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Ive had good luck with my Alloy USA's. They have 12k on them with 8k of it with 37's. All those miles are too and from trails.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Well this sucks, i just got my synergy ball joints from Northridge4x4 last week. What would you guys recommend doing, i haven't installed them yet. Should i take my chance and put them in? try sendIng them back to Northridge? (Will they take them back?) Another thing i noticed they are knurled. I think it was the teraflex video they advised against using knurled unless you had a sloppy fit or if knurled was previously used.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!