Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!

Old 03-29-2015, 06:07 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard the more recent batches of Synergy ball joints have seen a number of failures from the other forums. I believe they mentioned that the ball joints are now being sourced from China which is a big reason why I decided to roll the dice on the new Teraflex units.

Synergy provides a 12 month warranty on their ball joints. Teraflex offers lifetime warranty although I'm gonna be pissed if I have to change these out every 3 months knock on wood.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that most all reliable companies stand behind their products.. But I don't agree with outsourcing to china.. But as the Oper stated, he was going to go the Moog route which is what I'd prefer even after hearing horror stories like this. My statements doesn't imply Synergy or Teraflex are bad companies.. just bad judgment on where they need to have their products made. and I don't agree with having to change these every 3 months even if they are lifetime warranted.. we don't have that kind of time to spend waiting in a shop.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest
I understand that most all reliable companies stand behind their products.. But I don't agree with outsourcing to china.. But as the Oper stated, he was going to go the Moog route which is what I'd prefer even after hearing horror stories like this. My statements doesn't imply Synergy or Teraflex are bad companies.. just bad judgment on where they need to have their products made. and I don't agree with having to change these every 3 months even if they are lifetime warranted.. we don't have that kind of time to spend waiting in a shop.
Well first I wouldn't wait around in the lobby of a shop. Guys I run with, we'd do it ourselves and/or partner up and get it done.

But yeah, if it ends up where I'm replacing the Teraflex's twice within a 6 month period, they'll be gone for good after the 2nd time lifetime warranty or not.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
1500 miles grease or not there's more to this story if it's pulling to one side and shaking. I'd be going somewhere else for an answer to the problem.
Both sound like common issues with bad ball joints to me.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest
And now most moog parts are made in China to check on part
Old 03-29-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

It sucks, but these things happen. I'm about to install my 3rd set of ball joints in a year. Replaced stockers with Alloys which went around 1500 miles, replaced under warranty, and now they need to be replaced again. Will not be going Alloys again this time.

Take advantage of the warranty and get it aligned again immediately after installation.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Tim08JK
Both sound like common issues with bad ball joints to me.
My point is ?at 1500 miles? That an absurdly early failure China or not.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
It sucks, but these things happen. I'm about to install my 3rd set of ball joints in a year. Replaced stockers with Alloys which went around 1500 miles, replaced under warranty, and now they need to be replaced again. Will not be going Alloys again this time.

Take advantage of the warranty and get it aligned again immediately after installation.
Question, when you refer to "Alloy" you're referring to US Alloy ball joints?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D_engel

I'd rather just play it safe and go with Moog this time around. The thing is, yeah, the warranty is great as far as getting a free replacement but it doesn't cover labor. I'm not willing to take the chance of them failing in another 1500 miles then having to shell out a few hundred on labor again. I'd rather just get a refund, which hopefully is possible.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

There are a new set out made by Rare Parts that transfer some of the load to the top.

They are also made in USA.

http://rareparts.com/products/dual-l...all-joints.php

Someone installed them

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth.../250361?page=1

Cheapest price is on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q8GX9O4/...iglink20266-20

Last edited by espi; 03-29-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!