Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!

A month ago, I bought Synergy Ball Joints from Northridge and had a local shop install them. Went in for an alignment this morning because my Jeep was pulling to the passenger side and I was getting a shimmy in the wheel. Turns out the ball joints are bad and have excessive play in them. So, they took me out to the garage floor and showed me...yeah they are definitely bad.

I'm not too happy considering I paid $200 for the ball joints plus labor and now have to pay for different ball joints (going with Moog this time) plus labor again. The shop won't warranty them since they were provided by me. Hopefully I can at least get a refund from Synergy. Any ideas on what could cause this?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow.

Off the top of my head...

-install error?
-no grease added?
-defective from the factory?

I'd be of mind to bring this up with Synergy and approach them for help and present the facts in a calm way. They have a solid reputation, I have 60,000km on mine, very happy. Work with them see what happens.

If it is a manufacture defect any good manufacture should jump at the chance to address it and correct it.

Best of luck
Old 03-28-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed, Allow Northridge / Synergy a chance to make it right.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

I made sure they were greased when I got it back from them and doubled checked when I changed my oil last weekend.

By no means am I trying to bash either company, I purchase almost everything from Northridge and all of my steering is from Synergy. I plan on calling Northridge on Monday to see what they can do. Just trying to figure out what the problem could be.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I here ya.

My vote is manufacture defect, Northridge and Synergy are stand up companies to deal with, you're in good hands.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thought came to mind based on Webe's comments above.. It could be possible the the Oper's mechanic thought that the ball joint were not the greasable kind, thus didn't he look or even install the nipple to grease them. Then the fault would fall on the shop and the mechanic..

Last edited by JeepersDigest; 03-28-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

The grease nipples were installed on all four and they were greased after install, I made sure to check (I'm paranoid when it comes to other people working on my Jeep).

Thanks for the help/opinions, I appreciate it. I'll try to remember to update this thread with the outcome.

Last edited by Tim08JK; 03-28-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Noted.. and this only helps your case when submitting a claim with Northridge & Synergy and image is everything.. Granted not all of us are allowed into shops these days.. I happen to be lucky and get right in there with my mech and take pics.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What is the warranty on the synergy joints? I know my Napa Gold/spicer units have a lifetime warranty. This is the reason I buy most of my upgrade parts from Napa as well. My shocks, Joints, etc all come from napa. When a unit drops, go get another, and bring back the worn unit for full refund!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:27 AM
Former Member

1500 miles grease or not there's more to this story if it's pulling to one side and shaking. I'd be going somewhere else for an answer to the problem.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints bad after 1500 miles?!