Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joints?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
Drive side ball joints were replaced at 10,000 miles under warranty, after it actually EXPLODED on me....i have never seen a ball joint in pieces passenger side was done at 12,000 miles under warranty too. Dealer tried not to cover it. After i argued all day. it came down to they were the last ot align the JK , and since the alignment was withing factory specs. they could not prove it was my 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires. they had to cover it. Law says they can deny warranty claims if they can PROVE an after market addition CAUSED the problem. alignment was perfect 2 weeks earlier by them...they had to cover it. Plus a call to my local DC rep may have helped too. My dealer never put the warranty claim in, he denied it personally. calim was approved by DC.
How did you get ahold of your local DC rep? I would like to be ready for anything.

Also does anyone have a clue what DC is charging for parts and labor on replacing the ball joints driver and passenger?

I am sure that my lift will be a part of the conversation. I recently had an alignment by firestone (lifetime alignment). I believe everything was in spec or borderline.

My question is how do ball joints go out at 20K miles lift or no lift. That would mean that Jeep has to be replacing these things left and right. There is no reason why ball joints should fail this early.

I spoke with another JK'er friend of mine and he think his Jeep is suffering the same ball joint issue.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Jeep is in the shop now with bad ball joints @ 22,000 miles.

While driving (especially at higher speed) there was a noticeable "popping" from the front end. The popping was irregular and could be felt in the pedals.

Troubleshooting at a 4x4 shop, they found the ball joint problem.

It is most noticeable to see if you jack at the front axle while watching the lower ball joints. As soon as the weight is off the tires: you get the pop with movement.

The dealer "may not" warranty according to the service department, but that would be rediculous....

Regardless of lift/ tire size, ball joints should not go bad that fast
Old 11-08-2008, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Forgive my ignorance on this, but what causes the ball joints to go bad? Does the lift or bigger tires contribute to it? I've read where people are having the axle "C" bend and installing an offset ball joint and Axle C gussets to fix it. Would installing the Off Road Evolution C2 axle gussets help to keep them from going bad? I'm about to install a lift and 35" tires and want to do everything I can to avoid future problems. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Last edited by ScottK; 11-08-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

All I can say is my dealer was a complete @ss. Definitely find a jeep friendly dealer before going in, this is basically what Chrysler will tell you if you call to complain.

As for prevention, keep close watch on your front track bar bolts, they seem to loosen up and cause wear on other items in the suspension and steering.

Other than that, put some Dana 60's on it.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints?