Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joints?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints?

I am having some serious issues with the Jeep. At 70-75mph on the freeway in moderate wash board bumps, the wheels feel and look (when stick my head out the window) like they are going to fly off.

I have checked the front track bar, it is fine. I jacked the jeep under the lower control arm and used a pry bar to check the ball joints, seems like I have some play (~1/8"). I am uncertain if this is normal.

Considering I have a lift, aftermarket drive shafts, etc... is the dealer going to jerk me around if I bring it in for ball joint problems (under warranty)? Or for them to diagnose the problem? If anyone has had this problem can you offer some advice.

25000 miles on the jeep, 20000 miles on the lift and drivelines.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ball joints

My 2 door rubi with 13000 miles on it goes in tomorrow for ball joints and a drag link.

Both sides upper and lower ball joints have alot of play in them. There is no way to grease them and any play/slop in the ball joints will cause the front tires to wobble at speed when you hit a bump.

I put my stock tires back on and hope I won't have any warranty issues.

Good luck...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will follow your lead and change the tires back. Will post up next week to let you know the outcome.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a wheel that is about 1 degree out of camber. The dealer said that they could put in an aftermarket adjustable ball joint but it would cost me. They also said that because I have a lift this is not covered under the warranty. I also have 15k miles on my jeep. Honestly I consider the dealer a large pain in my butt.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, my front wheel camber is about 1 degree out also. I am hoping that they realize it is a Wrangler and people build Jeeps. I have read of a few people having issue with their ball joints on the JK's. I will be bringing that up. Also, the liberty has had a ton of issues and recalls on ball joints. Seems like Chrysler needs to spec a better vendor for joints.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dropped my Rubi off at the dealer today. I will let you know what they say.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Angry Ball joints are junk

i bought my silver rubi in dec. had 300 road miles on it before first off road trip about two hours of easy mudd field wheelin ds tire buckled under and both upper and lower ball joints broke. brought to dealer and of course said we cant look at it because of sighns of offroading two weeks later after fighting wit DC they finaly warr...it had to replace ball joints knuckle and axle..dealer told me not to bring back same dealer black flagged warr...on 05 rubi with 12k on it..but any way i do think the unservisable ball joints were a bad idea would like to drill and put grease fittings on them...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

do we have to rebuild the whole thing to make it safe
Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just had the upper and lower ball joints and universal joints replaced. 36,000km's.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Drive side ball joints were replaced at 10,000 miles under warranty, after it actually EXPLODED on me....i have never seen a ball joint in pieces passenger side was done at 12,000 miles under warranty too. Dealer tried not to cover it. After i argued all day. it came down to they were the last ot align the JK , and since the alignment was withing factory specs. they could not prove it was my 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires. they had to cover it. Law says they can deny warranty claims if they can PROVE an after market addition CAUSED the problem. alignment was perfect 2 weeks earlier by them...they had to cover it. Plus a call to my local DC rep may have helped too. My dealer never put the warranty claim in, he denied it personally. calim was approved by DC.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints?