Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joint Replacemnt FYI

Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally replaced my stock Ball Joints. Man, what a pain in the butt! thought I would pass on a couple of things... DON'T use a Ball Joint kit without the angled tube... I first got a kit from O'Reilly... very simple kit... wasn't great. It worked ok getting the joints out, but when pushing the tops out, I had to add some washers on the bottom part of the joint to get it out... the piece in the kit was not deep enough. Trying to get the uppers in without an angled tube was ridiculous. I went to Advanced Auto Parts to get a different Ball Joint kit that had the angled tube... MUCH easier. Also, I didn't read anything about this in my research, but the last like 1/8 of an inch getting the uppers in was VERY difficult. I even checked them to make sure they were going in straight.

The second thing, which kinda freaked me out, is that I was leaking fluid out of the axle tube... AFTER I got everything put back together. It was a significant enough amount of fluid to make me nervous, so I went and picked up some new seals. Then I saw what I would have to do to change them. Basically take apart everything I had just put back together. Soooo... I called a local 4x4 shop to see what they would charge. Luckily, the guy was stand-up and let me know that sometimes fluid will leak out of the tube when changing ball joints just from having the axles out while doing the work. He told me to wait a few days, and if it persists, to then bring it in to him. Sure enough, the leaking has stopped.

So... just wanted to throw that out there for anyone else doing their joints.

Last edited by Robar; 09-08-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
When you pull the axle out fluid will make its way into the tube and may seep out for a bit, but should clear up. It helps if when you are removing the axle jack up the side you are working on so the fluid in the diff won't leak out past the seal.
yeah, I took both sides out at the same time, and I think the passenger side was a tad higher, so that totally makes sense to me now... just freaked me out when I saw a nice little puddle under the Jeep when I went to lunch!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, trick is jack up & do one side at a time. Other then that my auto zone rental press worked fine.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jksooner
I went to Advanced Auto Parts to get a different Ball Joint kit that had the angled tube... MUCH easier.
Thanks for the tips. What is the name of the kit you got - I'd like to see if I can order it online.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CALIJK
Thanks for the tips. What is the name of the kit you got - I'd like to see if I can order it online.
didn't even notice a brand name, sorry
Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ball Joint Replacemnt FYI

Thanks for the info, I plan on doing mine in the very near future.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

jk sooner, which ball joints did you usre?
and thanks for the info

Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good info....Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Replacemnt FYI