Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joint Recommendations

Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Still no decision

I still haven't quite narrowed down what I should do.

I hear Synergy makes a great ball joint - but others say they are just as failure prone as stock.
I see no point in buying a $600 set of ball joints unless they last 10x longer than all the others

It seems (based on a different thread) that no matter what I do, they all may last 10K miles or 100K miles - it's a crap shoot.

I do know that I will replace the ball joints on the Rubi axle I am building. I just don't know which ones to get.

Running 35s at the moment but will want to go to 37s at some point within the next 12 to 18 months.

Synergy ($250)
Teraflex ($240)
G2 ($215)
Alloy ($155)
MOPAR ($300)
Dana Spicer ($200)
Crown ($90)

I've been leaning toward Synergy, because that's what all the cool kids are wearing, but I am beginning to rethink that.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I still haven't quite narrowed down what I should do. I hear Synergy makes a great ball joint - but others say they are just as failure prone as stock. I see no point in buying a $600 set of ball joints unless they last 10x longer than all the others It seems (based on a different thread) that no matter what I do, they all may last 10K miles or 100K miles - it's a crap shoot. I do know that I will replace the ball joints on the Rubi axle I am building. I just don't know which ones to get. Running 35s at the moment but will want to go to 37s at some point within the next 12 to 18 months. Synergy ($250) Teraflex ($240) G2 ($215) Alloy ($155) MOPAR ($300) Dana Spicer ($200) Crown ($90) I've been leaning toward Synergy, because that's what all the cool kids are wearing, but I am beginning to rethink that.
I think your lean towards synergy is a good one. I've got about 12,000 miles on them. I'm a happy camper. Don't forget to grease them.

Last edited by AirJordan613; 12-04-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Dynatrac for sure. They are the best. If you look on the box, it says Dynatrac. They are also rebuildable for about 25% more than the cost of new Crown BJs too.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Dynatrac for sure. They are the best. If you look on the box, it says Dynatrac. They are also rebuildable for about 25% more than the cost of new Crown BJs too.
And I hear they get a ringing endorsement from WOL, so I think I'm sold.

So are you suggesting to just stay OEM? Seriosuly, if the Synergy, et. al. are going to wear out just as quick on me (35s with 4.5" of backspacing) or once I go to 37s, I see no point in spending any more than I have to.

But I don't want to be swapping out ball joints every 15K miles. If I spend 50% and get 100% more life out of them, I'd do it.

You run such a big tire I'm surprised you're not swapping them out once a month.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

And I hear they get a ringing endorsement from WOL, so I think I'm sold.

So are you suggesting to just stay OEM? Seriosuly, if the Synergy, et. al. are going to wear out just as quick on me (35s with 4.5" of backspacing) or once I go to 37s, I see no point in spending any more than I have to.

But I don't want to be swapping out ball joints every 15K miles. If I spend 50% and get 100% more life out of them, I'd do it.

You run such a big tire I'm surprised you're not swapping them out once a month.
Because I am running XRF! Haha. What is on the axle now? Or, are you swapping knuckles over? If you have joints that are fine, leave them in until they are bad.

What has your research told you about the Crown? I'd give XRF a serious look. For as much as the diesel truck crowd swears by them, they can't suck that much in a JK. Plus, they are pretty cheap.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Because I am running XRF! Haha. What is on the axle now? Or, are you swapping knuckles over? If you have joints that are fine, leave them in until they are bad.

What has your research told you about the Crown? I'd give XRF a serious look. For as much as the diesel truck crowd swears by them, they can't suck that much in a JK. Plus, they are pretty cheap.
Not swapping knucks, but will be taking them off to de-rust and paint them. They have 40K on the joints.

From what I see above about Crown, the ball is pretty damn small.

XRF, cheap, as compared to .....

Can you point me to a source?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Not swapping knucks, but will be taking them off to de-rust and paint them. They have 40K on the joints.

From what I see above about Crown, the ball is pretty damn small.

XRF, cheap, as compared to .....

Can you point me to a source?
Yeah, saw that about Crown. Looks like XRF went up in price and are $190. I have no data on those for JKs, so cannot recommend them. You'd be testing them.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, saw that about Crown. Looks like XRF went up in price and are $190. I have no data on those for JKs, so cannot recommend them. You'd be testing them.
I was going to give those xrf joints a shot. I'm going to install a set this spring before the season
Old 12-04-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Monte417
I was going to give those xrf joints a shot. I'm going to install a set this spring before the season
Let me know how that works out. Make sure to grease them and keep them greased. I think that is often the failure issue is people don't grease ball joints enough. There is very little room for grease and it can work out pretty fast. And use the high pressure stuff that Synergy or RCV sell. Not the stuff from Lowes or autozone. Need that fancy moly shit.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know how that works out. Make sure to grease them and keep them greased. I think that is often the failure issue is people don't grease ball joints enough. There is very little room for grease and it can work out pretty fast. And use the high pressure stuff that Synergy or RCV sell. Not the stuff from Lowes or autozone. Need that fancy moly shit.
Will do. Whats weird is the driver side is fine at 40k miles but the passenger side upper is shot after 10k miles. I use the high pressure grease to. I guess its just luck of the draw with these things

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Recommendations