Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball Joint Recommendations

Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeAsRob
I have synergy and have no problems and love them.
Can you elaborate? Why do you love them? What makes them better than stock (aside from durability?) day-to-day driving, or off road?

I'm trying to understand what I should expect.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I wonder why some people running 35's and going offroad have had good luck with stock while others have not? I have 38000 miles on mine (14 jkur) and still tight. Owner of the local offroad shop said stock ball joints won't last 15-20,000 miles. Seems stock are on average lasting as long or longer than the rest. Is it hype or is it just luck or what? If mine make it to 50,000 miles I will just replace them with stock. If they go out in the next few miles I will go with something different most likely. I like the sounds of the XRF ball joints tho.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I wonder why some people running 35's and going offroad have had good luck with stock while others have not? I have 38000 miles on mine (14 jkur) and still tight. Owner of the local offroad shop said stock ball joints won't last 15-20,000 miles. Seems stock are on average lasting as long or longer than the rest. Is it hype or is it just luck or what? If mine make it to 50,000 miles I will just replace them with stock. If they go out in the next few miles I will go with something different most likely. I like the sounds of the XRF ball joints tho.
That is interesting? The guy I sold my front Ruby axle to had 108000 0n his and they weren't that bad. Another friend of mine had 70000 on his. I think they last longer than given credit for unless the tires are 37" or larger, really heavy Jeep that's used pretty hard. I found it interesting that in Ronjenx comparison photo the crown had a smaller ball inside? Yours are definitely holding up well.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Any more info on these? Is the steering tight as hell? Pics? Looking at the pics on eBay it looks like the zerk on the lower balljoint is straight up and not slanted. Does that interfere with the ujoint? Thanks
X2 ? those do sound interesting.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I got 120k on my stocks with most of it being 10" wheels and 2" of backspacing (most of the wheel outside and away from the hub). Who knows what makes some sets last longer but given what I was running, they should have been toast in 30k miles.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

I would have thought you'd want the lower greasable. It's the one that takes the brunt of the wear.
They do make them but the grease nipple gets in the way.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Synergy does an angled lower greased nipple so you can get it. The alloys in my TJ Rubi have a flush mount nipple that requires a special tool to grease them.

Any of these designs it's possible to remove the nipple and put a plug in there except when you're greasing them. I have no interference with my fittings so I leave them in stuff all times.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste the time on ProSteer ball joints. They wear out and will take more labor to rebuild than replace.
I know this because I HAD them and replaced with Synergys.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Any more info on these? Is the steering tight as hell? Pics? Looking at the pics on eBay it looks like the zerk on the lower balljoint is straight up and not slanted. Does that interfere with the ujoint? Thanks
I do not have pics but the zerks do not interfere with anything. The steering was tight but loosed up some after about 2000 miles. Yes it drove drastically different. Did not know I needed ball joints until a buddy told me I did because of the irregular wear on the outside of my front tires.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
X2 ? those do sound interesting.
I was talking with a buddy the other day that was set on getting Dynatrac ball joints. If the XRF ball joints wear out after 50,000 miles, I will replace with the same because I will still be under the original price for the Dynatracs, besides the rebuild kit for the Dynatrac is more than the price of the XRF.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Recommendations