Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball joint out of socket

Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Well I can try, lets say you change from stock 30-31" tires to 35's, just for an example. Seems to me that when you wheel it your putting more stress on the U Joints and axle shafts, not only stress from torque, but weight as well, right?? Now IF this is true then its only logical that at least some percentage of weight and control of the wheel is being put on the axle.

Like I said, I've never broke an axle, nor have I fixed or helped someone fix one on the trail, but with what I'm running now I know its just a matter of time until the front goes. I'm going off hear-say, but I've been told if you tear up your front in a similar way this guy did, that it is unsafe to drive..Period. This makes sense to me, but I'd like to hear more input on it, I def. could be wrong.
I guess that would make sense, I'm just hoping one of the more experienced guys (WOL, planman, nthinuf) will chime in.

And I'm definitely not driving it at all until I replace the ball joint and axle.

Thanks for all your input
Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Well I can try, lets say you change from stock 30-31" tires to 35's, just for an example. Seems to me that when you wheel it your putting more stress on the U Joints and axle shafts, not only stress from torque, but weight as well, right?? Now IF this is true then its only logical that at least some percentage of weight and control of the wheel is being put on the axle.

Like I said, I've never broke an axle, nor have I fixed or helped someone fix one on the trail, but with what I'm running now I know its just a matter of time until the front goes. I'm going off hear-say, but I've been told if you tear up your front in a similar way this guy did, that it is unsafe to drive..Period. This makes sense to me, but I'd like to hear more input on it, I def. could be wrong.
The axle shaft doesn't support any weight.
You are correct, though, that running with a failed axle shaft is not good.
Removing the axle shaft will allow it to be driven home.
Removing the shaft doesn't cause any additional weight to be carried by the ball joints.
In fact, the load on the ball joints will be reduced because the axle assembly will weigh less.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha!! Well I was trying to jump back to call myself out before someone else did.
Correct. The axle shaft supports no weight.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

So if the broken axle shaft didn't bear more weight on the ball joints, what pushed it out of its mount?? And is it possible to be in the position it is in now without bending the knuckle or C?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by sureshotgt
So if the broken axle shaft didn't bear more weight on the ball joints, what pushed it out of its mount?? And is it possible to be in the position it is in now without bending the knuckle or C?
What it sounded like in a previous post, it was implied, with a broken axle shaft, more weight of the vehicle would be on the ball joints, which won't be the case.

Here, you are asking if the broken axle shaft, itself, bore some weight on the ball joints.
Yes, the broken axle shaft bore some weight on the ball joint, but only in the form of impact, like a hammer would, when you strike it.
The axle shaft beats the ball joint out of the hole in the C. (That's usually the case.)

Yours may be a little different. I don't see any impact damage around the ball joint hole. That has me wondering if something a little different happened.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-12-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What it sounded like in a previous post, it was implied, with a broken axle shaft, more weight of the vehicle would be on the ball joints, which won't be the case.

Here, you are asking if the broken axle shaft, itself, bore some weight on the ball joints.
Yes, the broken axle shaft bore some weight on the ball joint, but only in the form of impact, like a hammer would, when you strike it.
The axle shaft beats the ball joint out of the hole in the C. (That's usually the case.)

Yours may be a little different. I don't see any impact damage around the ball joint hole. That has me wondering if something a little different happened.
Ok that's more of what I was thinking. I will take a closer look for impact marks around the ball joint.

But as far as anything bending due to the angle of the knuckle, what are your thoughts? Can the knuckle move like that without having been bent?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by sureshotgt
Ok that's more of what I was thinking. I will take a closer look for impact marks around the ball joint.

But as far as anything bending due to the angle of the knuckle, what are your thoughts? Can the knuckle move like that without having been bent?
All you can do is compare it to the other side, assuming is has not been damaged, too.
Or, go look at another JK.
I would be concerned with the condition of the ball joint hole in the inner C.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

When that happened you weren't at an angle on a rock. You were fairly flat and it appeared you hit it head on. Maybe it was all damaged earlier in the day, but at that point who knows.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
When an axle shaft or u-joint breaks, it is not uncommon for the recoil/snap to take out the ball joints.

There is some elasticity with axle shaft metal.

When a shaft breaks at the ears, it is usually twisted up right before it fails. The recoil (think of a breaking rubber band) snaps back and swings in a way that can break off the top ball joint end or shove out the lower ball joint.

If the break happens closer to the splines (where it fits in the locker/carrier), the recoil from the break can damage the carrier/locker or ring & pinion.
That makes much more sense. That just really scares me if I drove 250 miles with the lower ball joint barely in... But then again I watched the wheel as I was driving an it wasn't wobbling at all. I feel like once I got death wobble when I got home is when it popped out of place. Is that possible?

And what about any bends? Did pushing it out bend the C or knuckle or possibly hurt the ball joint hole?

Last edited by sureshotgt; 07-13-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice, as usual Planman. I broke the front passenger axle and had to remove it on the trail (I didn't do it myself...I had help). We stuffed it with rags, which were put inside of plastic surgical gloves to keep the diff fluid from spilling out and causing massive damage. To be safe, I duct-taped the rag-filled plastic gloves to make sure it wouldn't fall out and drove home over 300 miles, no problem.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Ball joint out of socket