Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball joint out of socket

Old 07-11-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint out of socket

Hey guys

After this weekend offroading I got home and experienced death wobble (definitely death wobble, not shimmy). I know the axle shaft is completely destroyed but I don't know what happened with the ball joint?? It had almost come out completely. I can even see through the hole on one side. Is it a bent knuckle or axle C? I've already ordered replacement ball joints, just need to know what else is bent... Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3824064840.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	180960   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3401021429.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	180961   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3797012165.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	180962  
Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy tried to explain this to me one day, so I'll do my best to relay what he said. Basically, when the axle breaks, it does so in such a way that it can push on the balljoints and warp/destroy them. It has somehting to do with the axle continuing its rotation after it has broken and ultimately destroying the ball joint.

Bottom line, if you broke the axle, you want to change out the balljoints, but you already knew this!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ratso
A buddy tried to explain this to me one day, so I'll do my best to relay what he said. Basically, when the axle breaks, it does so in such a way that it can push on the balljoints and warp/destroy them. It has somehting to do with the axle continuing its rotation after it has broken and ultimately destroying the ball joint.

Bottom line, if you broke the axle, you want to change out the balljoints, but you already knew this!
So the knuckle is fine? No bends in it you think? Just replace the axle an ball joint and it'll all be fine?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Take a bunch of measurments and compare with the other side,, Also step back and eyeball left and compare to right. Tough to say unless I was there to measure and look myself
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by sureshotgt
So the knuckle is fine? No bends in it you think? Just replace the axle an ball joint and it'll all be fine?
It's kind of hard to even speculate, when you haven't shown pictures of the complete knuckle.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

It didn't look like that when you broke your axle. Could have just been since it was getting dark, but I don't think the drive out of the trail helped at all.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

I have seen this before and it is caused when the u-joint breaks. The rotational force of the broken shaft actually pushes against the ball joint and forces it out. It's hard to say if either the inner or outer knuckles are damaged but it is possible and more likely that the inner knuckle would be bent due to the longer upper neck. This is definately where the RCV's pose an advantage.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

I'd think that after your Ujoint went and tore up your axle, the balljoints were on their own as far as supporting the weight of the jeep in that corner...where as typically the axle relieves some of this pressure. I'd say the drive off the trail and home loosend up the ball joints enough that you got death wobble.

I've never broke an axle before, but I've heard not to drive with a broken axle at all as your ball joints can fail, and you can end up loosing a wheel.

I'd replace the ball joints and axle, drive it and see if the alignment is about the same. Doubt you bent the axle or C.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6336
I'd think that after your Ujoint went and tore up your axle, the balljoints were on their own as far as supporting the weight of the jeep in that corner...where as typically the axle relieves some of this pressure. I'd say the drive off the trail and home loosend up the ball joints enough that you got death wobble.

I've never broke an axle before, but I've heard not to drive with a broken axle at all as your ball joints can fail, and you can end up loosing a wheel.

I'd replace the ball joints and axle, drive it and see if the alignment is about the same. Doubt you bent the axle or C.
Can you explain the highlighted part a little further, please?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Well I can try, lets say you change from stock 30-31" tires to 35's, just for an example. Seems to me that when you wheel it your putting more stress on the U Joints and axle shafts, not only stress from torque, but weight as well, right?? Now IF this is true then its only logical that at least some percentage of weight and control of the wheel is being put on the axle.

Like I said, I've never broke an axle, nor have I fixed or helped someone fix one on the trail, but with what I'm running now I know its just a matter of time until the front goes. I'm going off hear-say, but I've been told if you tear up your front in a similar way this guy did, that it is unsafe to drive..Period. This makes sense to me, but I'd like to hear more input on it, I def. could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Ball joint out of socket