Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Balancing and PSI for 35x12.5/17.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing and PSI for 35x12.5/17.

Have had the tires balanced twice now. Still some vibration around 40 mph. How are people balancing? Where are the weights? What PSI are you running them at?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run weights on the inside, @ 30 psi.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor

Tire pressure will be different for everyone. It really depends on the weight of the rig. Chalk test is the best way to find the right tire pressure for you.

Let us know if you need assistance on how to do this.

As far as balancing you might want to consider using balancing beads.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Balance beads FTW. Make sure to use the right amount of beads for the tire size. A good tire shop will have a chart on what bag (ounces) to use. 28-32psi. Chalk test will determine as mentioned above.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

If someone would like to share how to go about doing a chalk test I'd appreciate it! Just rotated my tires and started to get a vibration around 50-60. Oh, and what are balance beads haha
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Draw a thick line across the tread and drive or roll the jeep over the chalk. Look at how the chalk is worn. You want almost full tread contact meaning all the chalk worn off.
Worn in the center means too much air. Sides only means not enough air.
I think most people shoot for 1/2 or so chalk left on each side. For a 35" you should end up around 25-28 psi depending on the weight of your jeep.

Balancing beads is media or beads put inside the tire and balance the tire as it rotates. Works for some but not for everybody. Youtube has some videos on bead balancing.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BadBarret
If someone would like to share how to go about doing a chalk test I'd appreciate it! Just rotated my tires and started to get a vibration around 50-60. Oh, and what are balance beads haha
Just put a mark of chalk across your tire from the inside sidewall to the outside sidewall then drive a little bit in a straight line. Take a look at the tire and see if the chalk is still present. If it is still present in the middle of the tread then you need to decrease your pressure, if it is present on the outside edges of your tires then you need to increase your pressure. You are shooting for no more chalk once you are done. That is the perfect tire pressure for you.

Balancing beads are beads that you put inside your tire and wheel. Then you air the tire up and when you drive the beads roll around inside the tire. They will find their way around inside to prevent any vibrations at all speeds.

Last edited by Smashboogie 4x4; 11-12-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Seems like the problem has come about since I towed a small trailer recently where even at 30mph the whole front end felt like it was going to break apart. Jeep only has 16k on it. I decided to put the stock back on to see if I bent something or if it is the tires. Only had tires back on for hrs and it feels like the vibration is gone. What the hell else to do?
Don't the balancing beads destroy the TPMS? Should I have them put the rim edge weights on also? It has both stick on and rim on the inside.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks for the info fellas. I'll have to do this ASAP.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the same shop is doing your balancing i would try another shop
Or do the beads....
I have my tires at 36lbs as it gives me the best MPG without to harsh of a ride

Quick Reply: Balancing and PSI for 35x12.5/17.