Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Balancing and Calibrating new rims and tires?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Balancing and Calibrating new rims and tires?

Hey all, I am planning on getting new rims and tires put on. The rims are already here, just waiting on the tires. The place I am dealing with said they can install and balance and all the other stuff needed. (which is?) Now I am wondering, is this a hard process, can i do it myself with the proper tools? And with the calibrating, how does it work? A buddy of mine told me it would take about 10, 000kms for the computer to recalibrate it self, true?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Untrue. The computer has to be manually reprogrammed. By the way, rims are for Hummers. WHEELS are for Jeeps.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 37" tires

Anyone know if we can manually reprogram the computer, or is that something that must be done by the dealer?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

The dealer can't program anything over 32". You need a programmer like the Hypertech or Accupro.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's what I think I know:
Computer has to be reprogrammed with Starscan tool at dealer with new tire diameter in order for speedometer to be correct.
Balancing tires requires a balancing machine that the tire mounts onto and then they spin it up to 70 MPH, machine detects imbalance and tells them where to apply weights to the wheel to bring the wheel/tire into balance. Mounting a tire requires a different machine to get the tire onto the rim, there may be a human in the world strong enough to stretch the tire by hand onto the wheel, but that 1 guy probably isn't you.
Wheels almost never come with valve stems, and are thus provided for either during the purchase of the wheels, or installed when the tire is mounted and balanced, and paid for at that time. Generally, I've found you can get nicer stems when ordering the wheels, but this isn't always the case. The valve stems bring up another issue, the TIPM or tire pressure monitoring system. These sensors are mounted in each stock wheel if you have it (mandatory for all '08 and up models). Not all or even many aftermarket wheels can be adapted for the TIPM sensors, and the Jeeps computer doesn't like it when they're gone and manifests itself as a small annoying light on the dash panel.

Last edited by ResQGrnRubi; 01-05-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Only Starscan is not necessary to reprogram for tire size or gear changes. A Hypertech Max Energy or Accupro can program for tire size difference.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, i have these resources available to me at work, I dont know if I will be better off getting some buddies to do it for me or go through the local shop here.

Quick Reply: Balancing and Calibrating new rims and tires?