Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Balance GY Wrangler DuraTracs....how many times to get it right?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance GY Wrangler DuraTracs....how many times to get it right?

I have had my 315/70/17s on for 8000 miles now and they have never been right. When I installed them, they didnt feel right so I had them balanced. Still not right. So, I had them road force balanced at the dealership. Still not right. So, back to the tire store to have them road force balance them. Still not right. They are better, but not right at higher speeds. In town they seem to be fine, but when you get above 50 mph you start to get a shake and vibration.

I have checked all torque specs etc and replaced the ss with a TF hd one. How many times does it take to get them balanced correctly so they don't shake???
Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The shop that did mine said that since I only wanted stick on weights and only on the backside of the wheel, they didn't balance perfect. I think they run fine.

I come from owning a 1 ton diesel dually, and I drive a sloppy handling 1 ton diesel van at work. So maybe I just don't notice.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like you have other issues.
What tire pressure are you running? Do the chalk test. Dealers and tire shops fill them too high most of the time.

How's your steering geometry?
Could also be headed towards a bad steering box and the dreaded steering clunk.
Really hard to tell.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Tire shops do put to much air in tires and no most of them can't balance either. I got my oil change today and first thing they said is that my tire pressure was only 33 psi and the tire recommended 65 psi. They always say that with static weights on inside that the tires don't balance as good. They come from the factory with weights on the inside of the wheels and they have been smooth until now. Don't understand sometimes. I would take them back and back until they could show me it is something else.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am currently running them at 30 psi. I have tried everywhere from 20-35psi.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Goodyear =good luck...getting them to balance that is!

Quick Reply: Balance GY Wrangler DuraTracs....how many times to get it right?