Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

badland winch=bad idea???

Old 05-03-2015, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default badland winch=bad idea???

Is a badland winch really as bad as a lot of the reviews say they are ? I under stand its no "warn" , but It would really just be a once or so a year used item to me...do to I don't get much free time to go out in the woods with the jeep and when I do its not hard core .. the jeep has to get alittle older for me to do that to it.. so I have a chance to get a 9000 lb badland winch for $80.00 "open box deal" .. so the big ???? is it worth it?? also if I did get this winch could I put synthetic rope on it ? can you put synthetic on any winch or is there something different about them?? thanks all in advance......
Old 05-03-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

Everyone said the smittybilt I bought was junk too. I use it a dozen times a year to winch others out and a dozen times to drag logs for fire wood and haven't had any issues. I run a small local jeep club and have a few members with the old hf winches and they work fine. At that price how could you go wrong. Ask if they offer their extended warranty?
Old 05-03-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pontiac31
Everyone said the smittybilt I bought was junk too. I use it a dozen times a year to winch others out and a dozen times to drag logs for fire wood and haven't had any issues. I run a small local jeep club and have a few members with the old hf winches and they work fine. At that price how could you go wrong. Ask if they offer their extended warranty?

I was going to get a smittybilt x20 , but for $80.00 I thought the same thing , its worth a try!!! do you know if a winch that comes with steel cable can have synthetic rope put on it ????????
Old 05-03-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN E
I was going to get a smittybilt x20 , but for $80.00 I thought the same thing , its worth a try!!! do you know if a winch that comes with steel cable can have synthetic rope put on it ????????
I think you can't go wrong for $80, but it's going to cost you more for synth line than the winch, lol

As long as the drum is smooth with no burrs I don't see why you couldn't put synthetic line on it. I installed synthetic line onto a warn m8000 that came with steel cable and had no issues. I would feel comfortable doing this on any new unused winch because there's no previous damage to the drum that might injure the synthetic line.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1937&v=TN5vAAdKP94
Old 05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

That was a well done video.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

At $80 you really can't go wrong for the useable you describe. Some told me so take this with a pinch of salt that Smittybilt and Badland are one and the same. I've the Smittybilt and it works great. Now if I was using it more regular I could justify the cost of the warn.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't go with it I'll send us the 80$ and shipping for it
Old 05-04-2015, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At regular price, the Engo would be a better choice because of the lifetime vs. 90 day warranty but for $80, it's a no brainer.

Forget about the synthetic line, for what you'll do, it's not worth it. It's going to cost at least twice of what the winch cost you.

How are you planning on mounting it? I randomly use the winch and I have it installed on a hitch cradle. It stays in the garage when not in use.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

My Engo died the second time I tried to use it. They kept sending me parts to try to fix it, but in the end nothing did. Each time was a pain cause I had the AEV front bumper, so its tough to get to.

I just gave up and bought a new Badlands one.

Quick Reply: badland winch=bad idea???