Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad tie rod?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbtune
My jeep has 300 miles on it and I recently installed the rc 3.75 combo lift and the performance stabilizer... first thing I noticed was some kind of mild clunking slightly felt through my steering and pedals including some kind of instability on some minor bumps on the road.
Got under the front and grabbed hold of the tie rod. I had severe rotational movement without much force applied, at the end of each movement was that clunk or metal to metal sound i was hearing and feeling.... quite surprised.
I'm sure the tie rod bounces up and down over bumps given the minute force I'm applying to have that rotational movement. Currently trying to find the fix.. read that you can pump some dense grease in the ball joints there to stiffen movement...
i seriously doubt that your tie rod is causing your mild clunk. more likely than not, something else is making contact with something else.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I just switched the front tires with the back. The dw wet away! Ugh I'm so relieved. But now I'm gonna save up for new rims and tires
Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeremy072288
Ok so I just switched the front tires with the back. The dw wet away! Ugh I'm so relieved. But now I'm gonna save up for new rims and tires
Like I said... and its not DW, you don't want to give the wrong idea. Now I'd take it in and get the rear tires re-balanced. I'm willing to bet one of them is way outta whack.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKred
Like I said... and its not DW,
As someone who experienced DW there is no doubt that any one who has DW doesn't use the phrase "I think I may have death wobble." It is one of those events in life that leaves no doubt.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepin_tiger
As someone who experienced DW there is no doubt that any one who has DW doesn't use the phrase "I think I may have death wobble." It is one of those events in life that leaves no doubt.
Very true, but what happened to me was I received bad info from a fellow jeeper who said "No, can't be death wobble, that would have happened the second you lifted the jeep" I believe now he was confusing death wobble with drive line vib.

On the plus side I dont have to stir my coffee after I add sugar, I just hit the railroad tracks and the jeep takes care of it for me
Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

DW can be compared to a 9.0 earthquake going off in your Jeep. There is very little to no way to make it stop without stopping the Jeep. A slight shimmy or jerk is not DW.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a loose front track bar once, and yes, you'll know when DW happens.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

I'm hoping this is the solution to my problem.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...steering+clunk

Quick Reply: Bad tie rod?