Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad tie rod?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i don't know man, a speed related shimmy is almost always a tire balancing problem and, big off road tires can be hard to balance. if you really have a bad bushing in your track bar, you would have severe death wobble and trust me, there would be no question about it. essentially, your whole jeep would shake so violently that you feel like it's going to tear apart and the only way to make it stop is to bring your jeep to a stop. but hey, what do i know.
WOL I know you know your stuff, But how does one know the true feel of DW(as opposed to bump steer or wheel shimmy) and why I say this is I can complety relate to the op, to the point that I am still nervous going over bumps.I would say that I had death wobble, and I went nuts re-torquing components, and rotating tires, and goin back to oe tires and wheels, to no avail. The problem(that most would say: "that would not cause death wobble") was I believe Firstly a bad steering stabilizer,and then after installing a hd ss, a bent tie-rod. now ,maybe theoretically I didn't get dw, but it did shake the hell out my rig and I did need to slow almost to a complete stop to regain control, so I guess what I am trying to say is that DW (or symptoms of)is not only caused by the usual suspects, and could be caused by other than the norm.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
I keep this image saved in my phone to help me properly recognize all my front end parts. Save this image and do the same hope this helps
Thanks I like that!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd retorque everything, make sure nothing loosened up over the 5K. I don't have a lift, and I still check everything every other oil change.

On a tire related note, I went and rotated my tires this past summer, and suddenly a shimmy appeared in the front end between 55 and 60 consistently. I rechecked everything and it was all snug, so I moved the fronts back to the rear. Shimmy gone. Since then I have had my tires rebalanced, and all is well.

And don't hate your Jeep, building isn't easy, or else it wouldn't be fun, and everyone would do it
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boboborino
WOL I know you know your stuff, But how does one know the true feel of DW(as opposed to bump steer or wheel shimmy) and why I say this is I can complety relate to the op, to the point that I am still nervous going over bumps.I would say that I had death wobble, and I went nuts re-torquing components, and rotating tires, and goin back to oe tires and wheels, to no avail. The problem(that most would say: "that would not cause death wobble") was I believe Firstly a bad steering stabilizer,and then after installing a hd ss, a bent tie-rod. now ,maybe theoretically I didn't get dw, but it did shake the hell out my rig and I did need to slow almost to a complete stop to regain control, so I guess what I am trying to say is that DW (or symptoms of)is not only caused by the usual suspects, and could be caused by other than the norm.
assuming that you do have DW, did you check your ball joints to see if they are shot?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

i have seen multiple issues because of tire balance they need to be rotationally (spin) balanced not just static, and you should do the self check by swapping fronts to rear as that could give you a quick idea. If problem is still there move on if problem is gone double check that you did not lose any weights. I lost 2 x .25oz weights off one of my wheels and the jeep was all over the place that is on 37's though.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
assuming that you do have DW, did you check your ball joints to see if they are shot?

Yes, Ball joints, rod ends were all good.I did read somewhere on here that a bad SS could cause symptoms of DW(and the reason I say it like that is because then what do you call it if it is not DW)but it was a rare circumstance.My ss was shot, upgraded and it was better, but the Jeep still had a bad ride and then found my tie rod to be bent, so I do not know how long it was bent or if I bent it on a wheelin trip after I changed my SS. Nevertheless, I am back to loving my jeep again,after ultimately changing my SS and tie-rod, my ride is back
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brobbins67
Double check the torque on the track bar. If it's loose, that would for sure create a wobble. (Dont ask me how I know)
Did your lift come with a new track bar or relocation bracket? Just curious.
I have the rustys 3.25 lift
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

My jeep has 300 miles on it and I recently installed the rc 3.75 combo lift and the performance stabilizer... first thing I noticed was some kind of mild clunking slightly felt through my steering and pedals including some kind of instability on some minor bumps on the road.
Got under the front and grabbed hold of the tie rod. I had severe rotational movement without much force applied, at the end of each movement was that clunk or metal to metal sound i was hearing and feeling.... quite surprised.
I'm sure the tie rod bounces up and down over bumps given the minute force I'm applying to have that rotational movement. Currently trying to find the fix.. read that you can pump some dense grease in the ball joints there to stiffen movement...

Last edited by dxbtune; 05-04-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dxbtune
My jeep has 300 miles on it and I recently installed the rc 3.75 combo lift and the performance stabilizer... first thing I noticed was some kind of mild clunking slightly felt through my steering and pedals including some kind of instability on some minor bumps on the road.
Got under the front and grabbed hold of the tie rod. I had severe rotational movement without much force applied, at the end of each movement was that clunk or metal to metal sound i was hearing and feeling.... quite surprised.
I'm sure the tie rod bounces up and down over bumps given the minute force I'm applying to have that rotational movement. Currently trying to find the fix.. read that you can pump some dense grease in the ball joints there to stiffen movement...
I posted in a similar thread about this clanking and suspect the movement of the tierod and draglink being the cause. I bought a needle fitting for my grease gun and pumped the rubber cups full and it made no difference at all.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boboborino
Yes, Ball joints, rod ends were all good.I did read somewhere on here that a bad SS could cause symptoms of DW(and the reason I say it like that is because then what do you call it if it is not DW)but it was a rare circumstance.My ss was shot, upgraded and it was better, but the Jeep still had a bad ride and then found my tie rod to be bent, so I do not know how long it was bent or if I bent it on a wheelin trip after I changed my SS. Nevertheless, I am back to loving my jeep again,after ultimately changing my SS and tie-rod, my ride is back
a bent tie rod would give you too much toe-in and, in addition to bad tire wear, it can contribute to bad handling and even death wobble. your toe needed to be re-set and a new SS would only hide this.

Quick Reply: Bad tie rod?