Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad things can happen with a winch that is direct wired to the battery.....

Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
Nope then its a rumor/hoax... I just want ti see jk carnage it makes me smile... Hard..
I asked him to send me a pic or three. Hes an older gent whose idea of a smart phone is one that doesn't have a rotary dial, Ill post here once he sends them to me. I know you cannot protect against every act of vandalism but you can take a few steps to mitigate it.
Keys to Jeep - Oh well I scratch it plenty myself
Tires slashed - Insurance will fix it
No doors or soft top- nothing to steal is IN my Jeep at least not unprotected in a security lockbox or the modified cubby

I just thought it was a miserable thing to do and since a winch is coming up rather soon for my Jeep I thought Id get some feedback from you all.
Thanks for the discussion. Alot of really valid points here. There are many viewpoints and they all have their merits but I am def going to go with a Warn power interrupt and hook it into a circuit that's only hot when the ignition is on when I add a winch here next month. Shouldn't be running the dang winch when the Jeeps off anyway.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
I have seen numerous kits out there for quick disconnects. I like the one warn uses. Ive heard of guys using marine grade kill switches.

Warn Industries - Electrical Accessories for Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: Quick Connect

These have multiple kinds as you can run 1,3, or 4 position. Below it shows how you can run the positions with a diagram.

HD-Series Heavy Duty Selector Battery Switch - Blue Sea Systems

Great ideas, got me a rolling start on figuring out how I'm going to do my winch, funny thing is, My Buddy Bob told me about what happened to his jeep ( hes the guy who had it vandalized with his own winch) so I didnt even want to tell him I was putting in a winch next LOL
Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbathke
Great ideas, got me a rolling start on figuring out how I'm going to do my winch, funny thing is, My Buddy Bob told me about what happened to his jeep ( hes the guy who had it vandalized with his own winch) so I didnt even want to tell him I was putting in a winch next LOL
Lol im sure he will say forget about it. But i myself will be adding some kind of winch kill switch when i get mine.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Tabor 9500 on my jeep and I installed a kill switch because an unfused 15mm live wire is real fire hazard. A rock can ripp the cable isolation, it touches the chassis and it getīs welded and no fire extinguisher can stop it...

But the kill switch saved my jeep and a Ford Kooga from an ugly accident that I never considered.
The ford Kooga (I guess you donīt have those in the States, you can google it) was high centered on the top of a dune, and, since I have real offroader, it was my duty to help the little Kooga.
The Kooga doesnīt have any rear recovery point, so I hooked the winch to the A arm of one of the rear wheels. I recovered the Kooga, without any effort ,but, when I tried to stop the winch... it kept going... I disconnected the remote.... the winch kept going ... Thank God I had a kill switch, and I got there on time. If it wasnīt for that kill switch, the suspension of the kooga and one of the wheels would have been hanging from my bumper... with peaces of Kooga still attached to it.

I donīt know how that happened. Two relays must jam at the same time so the winch starts pulling without the remote. I checked everything and all was fine. The relays are Warn the same as any other Warn winch, there supposed to be the best... I still donīt know how that happend... but it did and the kill switch saved me a loooot of trouble...

PS: the owner of the Kooga was from Mendoza, Argentina, and he gave me a bottle of wine from over there, one of the best wine in the world...
Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1996835631.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	570191

Out and in
Solenoid Pak is under the hood between battery and TPIM. I didn't get a remote or wiring with my winch so I had to do something creative.
They wouldn't have needed the remote to engage the winch there is 4 points in the terminal it doesn't take a genius to hot wire a winch. Who hasn't had a buddy get stuck and learn the remote is pooched?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1251254655.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	570192  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Need pics of this hardtop
Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Morbo
I have a Tabor 9500 on my jeep and I installed a kill switch because an unfused 15mm live wire is real fire hazard. A rock can ripp the cable isolation, it touches the chassis and it getīs welded and no fire extinguisher can stop it...

But the kill switch saved my jeep and a Ford Kooga from an ugly accident that I never considered.
The ford Kooga (I guess you donīt have those in the States, you can google it) was high centered on the top of a dune, and, since I have real offroader, it was my duty to help the little Kooga.
The Kooga doesnīt have any rear recovery point, so I hooked the winch to the A arm of one of the rear wheels. I recovered the Kooga, without any effort ,but, when I tried to stop the winch... it kept going... I disconnected the remote.... the winch kept going ... Thank God I had a kill switch, and I got there on time. If it wasnīt for that kill switch, the suspension of the kooga and one of the wheels would have been hanging from my bumper... with peaces of Kooga still attached to it.

I donīt know how that happened. Two relays must jam at the same time so the winch starts pulling without the remote. I checked everything and all was fine. The relays are Warn the same as any other Warn winch, there supposed to be the best... I still donīt know how that happend... but it did and the kill switch saved me a loooot of trouble...

PS: the owner of the Kooga was from Mendoza, Argentina, and he gave me a bottle of wine from over there, one of the best wine in the world...
I looked up that ford kuga (kooga showed up as kuga after) and man, that vehicle is not made for offroad not only does it lack recovery points, it has no ground clearance your winch would have ripped it in to many pieces
Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:	image-3377279847.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	570315

Solenoid Pak looks like this and I managed to fish the wires fairly easily along with my breather tubes which I ran up the pillar arm.

Story behind free winch, helped a buddy move 3 times, told him if I have to carry this winch again I'm keeping it. Next time he moved I took it home and he still hasn't noticed lol.

Name:	image-3268823937.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	570321

Too bad it doesn't work when the battery is under water...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1640061843.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	570314   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3070482793.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	570316   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1506326858.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	570317   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1985626780.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	570318   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2868044718.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	570319  

Name:	image-3986174904.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	570320  
Old 08-10-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Morbo;3963636]I have a Tabor 9500 on my jeep and I installed a kill switch because an unfused 15mm live wire is real fire hazard. A rock can ripp the cable isolation, it touches the chassis and it getīs welded and no fire extinguisher can stop it...

PS: the owner of the Kooga was from Mendoza, Argentina, and he gave me a bottle of wine from over there, one of the best wine in the world...[/QUOTE

Same thing happened with my winch a few years back. Couldn't get it to stop, I believe the solenoid got stuck (I ended up having to replace it that year due to corrosion inside of it). It was also mid winter and pretty cold.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Similar story,I came out of the movies once and the car in frt of me backed up and almost ripped off their bumper,tuns out someone spooled out my winch and attached it to another car,pretty funny now,I bet they hung around and watched,lesson learned,tighten cable and hide the remote,

Quick Reply: Bad things can happen with a winch that is direct wired to the battery.....