Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad things can happen with a winch that is direct wired to the battery.....

Old 08-07-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted by hair2831
That sucks. How did they operate the winch without the controller?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I just don't see how it made it a little more difficult for him to commit a random act. What hasn't changed is his desire to commit some random act, nor his opportunity to commit that random act. It just changed the random act he did. I guess we'll just have to disagree on that point.
I'm not sure how you can't see that it made it more difficult.

With a kill switch: Bad guy un-spools, wraps over roof, tries to power the winch, and nothing happens.

Without a kill switch: Bad guy un-spools, wraps over roof, tries to power the winch, and crushes the roof.

Seems pretty simple to me. I've seen your posts on this forum, you are quite knowledgeable about a great many things, but I think you're either missing something here, or you don't want to accept the possibility you were wrong, so you just dismiss the point?.

Not too mention the other benefits of having a kill switch, which there are a few.

I'm curious, do you leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition too?

Last edited by syn-ack; 08-07-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

What Mark is saying is the guy just isn't going to say "oh shoot, the winch doesn't work" and leave, if he's determined to screw up something he's going to do it, let's say instead of crushing the top he just slashes the tires and breaks out the glass instead. Reread what he said without focusing on the winch part.

Last edited by slider_68; 08-07-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's stories like this that cause me to lose a little more hope for this world.

While not nearly as serious, I have found that my JK has become a constant target for douche-bag diesel trucks "rollin coal." Yeah, must be so cool to bury a guy in a cloud of black diesel soot. Especially safe when I'm cruising down the highway at 70.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by slider_68
What Mark is saying is the guy just isn't going to say "oh shoot, the winch doesn't work" if he's determined to screw up something he's going to do it, let's say instead of crushing the top he just slashes the tires or bust out the glass instead. Reread what he said without focusing on the winch part.
If that is his point, he missed the point of my original reply. Crime of opportunity for the purpose of ease and entertainment. Having worked in law enforcement, I can't tell you how often teenagers do things out of boredom for entertainment. If you make it a little more difficult for them to victimize you, then they will often move onto something else. In the case provided above, would they persevere and try to find a way to power the winch and make it happen, maybe... But also, maybe not.

For most people, watching a roof get crushed is a lot more entertaining then watching tires deflate, or paint get scratched.

All I'm saying, is it is possible it will save you a lot of hassle... For minimal cost and risk.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With out the controller how was it operated to crunch the hard top?

I disconnect the positive terminal when not on the trail and the controller is locked up in the Tuffy box.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ncb
With out the controller how was it operated to crunch the hard top?
I have not done it myself, but I imagine it is only a matter of jumping across the terminals the controller typically plugs in to.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Huk
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see all the points above and I hate to prolong this, but I see one thing that I would like to add on some individual's mentality.
Some people do bad things because they are 'fun' - not because they feel like doing damage to some random car.

For instance - slashing tires has been done all over and everyone has seen it. Not much of a 'cool factor'. But if you are the neighborhood cool guy and want to up the ante..."hey guys want to crush a car with a winch!" Now there's an opportunity.
Disagree if you like, it's just my point of view.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Huk
I see all the points above and I hate to prolong this, but I see one thing that I would like to add on some individual's mentality. Some people do bad things because they are 'fun' - not because they feel like doing damage to some random car. For instance - slashing tires has been done all over and everyone has seen it. Not much of a 'cool factor'. But if you are the neighborhood cool guy and want to up the ante..."hey guys want to crush a car with a winch!" Now there's an opportunity. Disagree if you like, it's just my point of view.
Fully agree. Not sure why Mark doesn't get this.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you all are arguing over things and variables none of you have any control over, and are all making complete assumptions as to why or how someone will do something, that hasn't even done it yet or that has and you will never know or understand their motivation. There is a 50/50 shot that having power to the winch or not, will or will not prevent a certain type of vandalism and/or cause the individual either to stop or pursue some other sort of destructive route. My sarge always told me an Assumption was the mother of all f*** ups.

So if you want a kill switch to deter that specific type of vandalism, that's an individual decision and really doesn't matter either way. I know if I were going to vandalism something, you're going to need to do more than put a kill switch on the winch to stop me. Using the winch to smash in the cab was definitely an A hole move, but they get an A for creativity.

Just sayin'..............

Quick Reply: Bad things can happen with a winch that is direct wired to the battery.....