Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad idea ?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad idea ?

Is it a bad idea to just buy the terraflex 2.5 lift kit but just the spacer and other components without shocks? Since i have brand new coils and shocks?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fields0407
Is it a bad idea to just buy the terraflex 2.5 lift kit but just the spacer and other components without shocks? Since i have brand new coils and shocks?
are the brand new shocks that you have the same as the original shocks that you had on the jeep?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Ya the are the stock ones on my 2014 wrangler sport 4 door an i only have 3k miles on it
Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Ya the are the stock ones on my 2014 wrangler sport 4 door an i only have 3k miles on it
They are too short for 2.5" of lift. You can keep them if you put shock extenders on, which should be part of the TF kit without shocks. Bad idea? Not necessarily. But, you'll have less room for the shock to travel because it's shorter. Mostly depends on what kind of off-roading you plan to do. For the time being, it can get you off road with a bit more room in the wheel well for larger tires, and the larger tires will provide a bit more clearance over obstacles. So, that's good. And you'll keep essentially the same Jeep ride, which may also be good. So, not really a bad thing. Unless you're really planning on going out there and tackling some hardcore stuff, it's not a bad way to get started into off-roading (but even a completely OEM X/Sport is not a bad way to get started).
Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
They are too short for 2.5" of lift. You can keep them if you put shock extenders on, which should be part of the TF kit without shocks. Bad idea? Not necessarily. But, you'll have less room for the shock to travel because it's shorter. Mostly depends on what kind of off-roading you plan to do.
There ya have it. Your stock shocks are shorter than what you need but like Mark said, depends on the type of offloading you plan to do. You can get away with it for now and upgrade in the future. The longer shocks will help when you start getting into the harder stuff.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Ya , right now all i really do is like go mudding and sometimes trails but i dont flex or anything
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

What is a kit you guys would recommend that is 2.5 ? And not to pricey ?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

What is a kit you guys would recommend that is 2.5 ? And not to pricey ?
I went with the Teraflex 2.5" kit. Price isn't too bad and I personally like it a lot. Others will tell you Teraflex isn't good. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Most people that I have seen agree that Rock Krawler is a great company to go with but their lifts are going to be a little more expensive because you are getting what you pay for.

Old Man EMU seems to have quite a few good reviews also. I would start by looking at these recommendations and then wait for the laundry list of other kits from other members who really like what they are running.

Everyone has good and bad experiences with all the different kits so you are going to get a ton of different opinions with a question like this.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like my Teraflex kit a lot......great ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140116_130427.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	524146
Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you're talking budget boost (BB) and retaining stock springs and shocks, just about anything. I have TF products and like them. If you want to replace the springs and shocks, then maybe look more critically. Not saying don't go TF 2.5" coil lift (I have and like, but did have to swap out the rear springs for OME heavy duties due to sag under my very heavy expedition weight).

Quick Reply: Bad idea ?