Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad experiences with headers

Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As difficult as it is to simply change spark plugs on a JK I can't even imagine what a knuckle busting, finger twisting nightmare swapping headers out must be.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, true dat!

Originally Posted by LOST
As difficult as it is to simply change spark plugs on a JK I can't even imagine what a knuckle busting, finger twisting nightmare swapping headers out must be.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Gibson headers. In short it SUCKS.

These things create an insane amount of heat under the hood. My battery box melted, was constantly melting plug boots and wires. I had to buy high temp plug wires with ceramic boots AND use boot heat protectors.

The flange bolts were constantly loosening. When I called Gibson about a solution they said I could buy bigger bolts from them or from any auto parts store. So I did and it didn't help.
I ended up spending a ton of money on stage 8 bolts.

NOW because of the extreme heat the OEM flanges have bent so far that I can't tighten the bolts enough to stop it from leaking.

These things have cost me more money for maybe, just maybe a shred of HP gain.

Maybe other brands of headers are better, but from my experience it's a waste of money.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gingerchocolate
I have the Gibson headers. In short it SUCKS. These things create an insane amount of heat under the hood. My battery box melted, was constantly melting plug boots and wires. I had to buy high temp plug wires with ceramic boots AND use boot heat protectors. The flange bolts were constantly loosening. When I called Gibson about a solution they said I could buy bigger bolts from them or from any auto parts store. So I did and it didn't help. I ended up spending a ton of money on stage 8 bolts. NOW because of the extreme heat the OEM flanges have bent so far that I can't tighten the bolts enough to stop it from leaking. These things have cost me more money for maybe, just maybe a shred of HP gain. Maybe other brands of headers are better, but from my experience it's a waste of money.

Thanks for the advice , I was really thinking about buy those headers.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

I put JBA, ceramic coated headers on my 2010 JKU. Within 5 miles, I heard a bang under the hood and the dash lit up with warning lights. I turned around and drove back to the shop. One of the bolts connecting the header to the exhaust, had detonated. The bolt had become so hot that it exploded in to 2 pieces. They replaced the bolt and I drove away. Two miles later, more bangs under the hood and the warning lights back on. All bolts changed to grade 8 at that time. On the drive home- bangs/warning lights. We ordered some high temp grade 8 bolts. They were installed and then the melting of spark plug wires began. I had to carry around spare plug wires until the high temp boots arrived. Periodically, I would still have one melt on areas that were not protected. Finally took them off and no problems since.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Started off with Gibson shorties and hated them. Melted plug wires, loose header bolts, and inability to tighten the driver side bolt so they wont leak...

On a positive note, went with RIPP long tube and could not be happier with the product not the customer service. Well, once i resolved the engine light issue. Be prepared that RIPP may tell you they cant help even with a diablo tune. Send me a PM if this happens to you, i know a guy that can fix it with a diablo tune over email so you can pass emissions.

Quick Reply: Bad experiences with headers