Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad control arm bushing cause DW?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biff Malibu
If you get the tires balanced, the steering wheel shimmy will go away.
I dont have a steering shimmy, I have death wobble which is a hell of a lot worse.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your ball joints ? I thought I had a bad control arm bushing causing DW but turns out I needed all my ball joints replaced
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all ur help planman. I am hopefull that I havent done any damage since all the incidents have been at pretty low speed and only lasted for a few seconds each time (30mph). I am anxiously awaiting my new stuff to get it on. Unfort I have cont to drive my jeep around town because it is the only vehicle I have. I have been limiting my driving as much as possible.

I havent check the ball joints yet since I have only put 12,000 miles on me jeep, seems unlikly that they could go that fast, right?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Thanks for all ur help planman. I am hopefull that I havent done any damage since all the incidents have been at pretty low speed and only lasted for a few seconds each time (30mph). I am anxiously awaiting my new stuff to get it on. Unfort I have cont to drive my jeep around town because it is the only vehicle I have. I have been limiting my driving as much as possible.

I havent check the ball joints yet since I have only put 12,000 miles on me jeep, seems unlikly that they could go that fast, right?
Seems unlikely but mine went out at 47k and I have seen others post that they went out at 30k.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi

Default Re: Bad control arm bushing cause DW?

My ball joints were loose but not shot at 25k. I replaced them with dynatrac pro steers. Just check em can't hurt...

Sent from my Droid
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys for all ur help and bearing with me.

I pulled my track bar bolt at the axle to check it out. Here r some pics. Does this look normal or is the hole enlarged? I dont know how tight it is supposed to be. the bushing appears visually fine. not sure how else to check.

Here is it with the bolt pushed through both sides with track bar out.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im not 100% sure but I thought it was supposed to be a pretty tight fit.

When the bolt is through is there much play ?

I asked this same question and I was told find a washer thats tight on the bolt and weld it to the bracket when the hole is enlarged.

Im new to this stuff so I would wait for someone with more experience to chime in.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
That looks too loose to me.

I would have a 4x4 shop, an exhaust shop, or a friend with some welding experience weld some washers on the bracket to make the hole smaller.
Would the JKS front trackbar bracket brace fix this problem? I was thinking of buyng that anyway, already ahve the rear.

This one:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16007_0100.htm

Last edited by Olean NY Jeeper; 09-15-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Jedi

Default Re: Bad control arm bushing cause DW?

I would agree with planman in it looks a lil bit loose.. I do not think mine has that much space... the hole on mine is just big enough for the bolt..
Time to weld washers on.. can't hurt.

Sent from my Droid
Old 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Thank u so much again guys. If u were closer I would buy you all lunch. If you are ever in Olean NY look me up.

I am going to buy the jks bracket brace and have someone weld on a washer on the back side. Looks like the JKS trackbar brace comes with a new trackbar bolt so I will wait to see what size I need.

What kind of washer do I need, any old grade 5 or does it need to be a grade 8? How do you weld the washer on in case my welder asks? do you put the bolt through and secure it someone to make sure it is welded in the right spot?

Ill get this DW fixed yet.

Quick Reply: Bad control arm bushing cause DW?