Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad control arm bushing cause DW?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad control arm bushing cause DW?

Would a lower control arm axle side bad rubber bushing be enough to cause Death wobble? I have been trying to diagnose DW that I got after I installed Skid row lower control arm skids. Today I decided to pull the skid plates to see if they were causing a problem. I noticed that the lower control arm axle side bushing looks messed up and some rubber has peeled off. The control arm bracket looks a little bent too. Where the metal control arm meets the bracket on one side it is touchingmetal instead of the bushing. Is this enough to cause DW? I didny know any better and drove for 4-5 thousand miles after my 3 inch lift without loosening my lower Control arms and shaking when loose while on ground. Could this have caused the bushings to go bad?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

honestly, i really doubt it. i have run with blown bushings for a long time and never had death wobble.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i agree with WOL I have had bad CA bushings for 6 months and never experienced DW
What are you running for a front track bar or do you have a relocation bracket?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

No relocation bracket, just have stock track bar. didnt correct for shift because I really didnt notice it. I took the skid row skid plates off and just had DW 15 minutes ago when I hit a pot hole at 30 mph. I am getting frustrated. I never had DW until I put these skid plates on now I have it even after taking them off. My stabilizer is blown but I wouldnt think that would cause DW.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Here r some pics of my lower front control arm (u can see in the first couple of pics that the bushing seems damaged and the control arm is touching metal:

Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you rotate the tires?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Biff Malibu
Did you rotate the tires?
I rotated my tires 1,000 miles ago. dont think that would cauase DW though. I ordered a new bushing to install in the control arm that looks messed up. I also ordered an adjustable track bar from JKS, hoepfully between the two this problem goes away.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi

it looks like due to the one side of the mount bending it crushed the bushing and as a result its gone.
i would straighten that bracket out a tad while u replace the bushing. and then if u can and have a welder run a bead on the inside of the bracket to the tube like in the project jk write up for front evo control arm skids.

edit.. i cant find the pic. the writeup has changed, but weld the inside of the bracket where there is no weld attaching it to tube. its only welded on outside.

Last edited by rinkishJK; 09-15-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since you did not install an adjustable track bar to recenter the axle after a 3"+ lift, you axle is off center causing the control arms not align perfectly.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I rotated my tires 1,000 miles ago. dont think that would cauase DW though. I ordered a new bushing to install in the control arm that looks messed up. I also ordered an adjustable track bar from JKS, hoepfully between the two this problem goes away.
If you get the tires balanced, the steering wheel shimmy will go away.

Quick Reply: Bad control arm bushing cause DW?