Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad C Gusset Welds? Need Advice

Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its Arc welding alright. The problem with arch welding is getting into those hard spaces. Needless to say it looks like crap. I'm certified to weld on aircraft so we cant have any pin holes or cold spots in any of the bead and it has to be X-rayed after the fact. I suggest MIG and if you really want a good weld TIG by hand and filler rods. Welding is 90% prep 10% welding.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should he be able to go back over this with arc welder to repair?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not a pro welder but I did run a welding department for a while and I would have made the guys grind the welds out and redo them if they did something that looked like that. I'm with Jonathan_JK, have some one MIG or TIG weld it.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always say if you can't weld, weld a lot

the pro's welds look terrible but they'll likely hold. Looks like he really had the heat cranked up. I'd take to a different shop and have them grind on them and clean them up.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess when it was mentioned about cranking up the heat...did the welder take care not to heat up your ball joints too much. They say to do a little at a time and alternate sides even cooling with a wet towel so you dont cook the ball joints.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Former Vendor

Here is an example of a good Mig weld. Granted this is not on a truss but its on a 3 link mount on the rear axle.

2011 Jeep JK Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Lift Installation | Facebook

Its very difficult to weld on the axle. The axle sucks the heat right out of the weld almost immediately so warming up the axle tube with a torch is almost a must.

Plus prep work is very important. If its not prepped correctly the weld will spit back at you. Lastly you do need room to work but an experienced welder will be able to weld the truss with the axle still installed. Its just part of the challenge.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Assuming that was done with everything assembled, did he do anything to protect the ball joints? Quality of work is on par with someone doing a trail repair using a underhood stick welder. More boogers than the underside of a 1st grader's school desk.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Here is an example of a good Mig weld. Granted this is not on a truss but its on a 3 link mount on the rear axle.

2011 Jeep JK Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Lift Installation | Facebook

Its very difficult to weld on the axle. The axle sucks the heat right out of the weld almost immediately so warming up the axle tube with a torch is almost a must.

Plus prep work is very important. If its not prepped correctly the weld will spit back at you. Lastly you do need room to work but an experienced welder will be able to weld the truss with the axle still installed. Its just part of the challenge.
Very helpful info thank you. Welds in the photo are much better than mine.

Shop owner says he was having problems with his welder. It is now repaired and I will be going back to get the welds fixed.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Assuming that was done with everything assembled, did he do anything to protect the ball joints? Quality of work is on par with someone doing a trail repair using a underhood stick welder. More boogers than the underside of a 1st grader's school desk.
Haha, that made me laugh even tho I'm pissed off over this welding. I repeatedly told them to weld one inch at a time and keep ball joints cool. Judging from the quality of work, I'm sure they smoked the ball joints. :-(
Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

TROC. How would we know if the ball joints were messed up, without taking the jeep apart? My welds look better then OP, not a lot, but certainly better then these. I was also concerned about function, but sounds like Im ok. I only paid $140 so i feel a little better now. Thanks to all who commented on this thread and to the OP.

Quick Reply: Bad C Gusset Welds? Need Advice