Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad C Gusset Welds? Need Advice

Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there's holes in the beads a couple-few milimeters big, say every 1/4-1/2 inch apart, I'd at least want them welded in and over, or start fresh.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am concerned because i spent $260 on these welds, that look terrible and do not look strong.

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Explain your concern to the shop that welded it. Maybe they have a different guy that can correct the issue. If they do not want to correct the issue then it will be functional.

If you don't want to deal with the head ache just take note that the shop can not weld very well and if you need something else done find a new shop at that time.

I would not spend anymore money on that.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Kind of just reinforcing what Smash has already said. The welds appear functional, just not pretty. That first "comparison" photo of a weld has gotta be Tig, just too nice. It looks like the guy used stick on yours plus probably didn't prep well. Dirty/painted metal only leads to poor welds. That, plus not enough heat, will give that "bird crap" look to the welds. Also have to consider the available space to work in. I'm betting those were done with the axle in place. Not making excuses for the welder, they still look like an amateur did them, but you gotta have room to work.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

The holes i am referring to are holes in the Weld that i can see through that seems to indicate weakness and poor welding.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Might as well of JB "welded" them bastards. Looks like he is inexperienced welding cast to plate, granted it can be a PITA and should look better.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. Looks like ill be contacting the shop on this one. This guy advertises as an experienced certified welder owning a shop that "builds jeeps." Then I get welds that look amateur. Pisses me off and he will hear about it.

Ill give him a chance to make this better, if not I will post his name, business name, and location all over this forum as a waste of money. So you guys can avoid it at all costs.

Thanks again guys-
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TROC
i am concerned because i spent $260 on these welds, that look terrible and do not look strong.
For 260 I would have put that towards a welder and a weekend welding class lol sorry for your misfortune .
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
JK Newbie

It looks to me like it was arc welded. If it was mig welded, it looks like he ran out of gas. Either way it looks like turd. I know I would have been smacked upside the head if I ever turned in a weld like that.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TROC
You need to get your money back for that and get that guy out of that shop. Those are horrible welds! I have only been welding a couple months and my welds look better then that. And I am self taught as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like arc welds to me. I haven't arc welded in years but my very first weld looked like that. Problem with arc welding in order to really see how much penetration and how well the weld is you need to x ray it. You can have the metal "stick" together but it may not be solid. The holes in the weld are definitely due to inexperience. It's also not the easiest method of welding. You have to strike the arc on a rod and have the proper distance from the project and you need to have the proper speed in which you move along the joint. It honestly looks like he rushed the whole job from prep to finish. Tap them with a hammer to see if they move.

Quick Reply: Bad C Gusset Welds? Need Advice