Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad C Gusset Welds? Need Advice

Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks- my welds are very sloppy and have holes compared to those. [

QUOTE=zstairlessone;3377020]And here's an example off of 4wheeler.com[/QUOTE]
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
And look at work the next person you go to has done. It should look like this. (tho certainly isn't me, I used a pic from the web as an example)
This looks like a tig weld to me.

A mig weld would look a little different.

Originally Posted by TROC
Wow thank you for the truthful advice. I don't know much about welding, Please tell me what specifically is the problem because I will need to argue this with shop owner. Thank you!!
This weld is very ugly and poor craftsmanship, but it will hold the C's in place.

If it were a real structural item like a three link mount or something similar that will be under a lot of stress then we would not trust this weld. It does not have enough penetration. The welder should have used more heat than he did. It is possible to make it look much better and be much stronger with a very experienced welder.

This weld is definitely not the best but it will do the job for the C's. Just trying to look at the glass half full is all.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

okay;It will hold the C in place. But would you say these welds add any strength to the Axle C?

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4

This weld is very ugly and poor craftsmanship, but it will hold the C's in place.

If it were a real structural item like a three link mount or something similar that will be under a lot of stress then we would not trust this weld. It does not have enough penetration. The welder should have used more heat than he did. It is possible to make it look much better and be much stronger with a very experienced welder.

This weld is definitely not the best but it will do the job for the C's. Just trying to look at the glass half full is all.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with this. All we're talking about here is the visual appearance of the welds. It will work just fine for your C;s. If the looks bother you though, than yeah maybe start over.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Former Vendor

They do add strength. They can definitely be improved but they will do the job, but for $260 they should have been better.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

i am not concerned about looks. I am concerned about functionality. I want to have faith in these welds when im on the trail. what would you guys do?

Originally Posted by k0260
I agree with this. All we're talking about here is the visual appearance of the welds. It will work just fine for your C;s. If the looks bother you though, than yeah maybe start over.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi

i am not concerned about looks. I am concerned about functionality. I want to have faith in these welds when im on the trail. what would you guys do?
Can only determine so much from pictures, but I'd call it a day. The welds appear enough to be structurally sound. You mentioned holes, are there a lot? how big?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor

Explain your concern to the shop that welded it. Maybe they have a different guy that can correct the issue. If they do not want to correct the issue then it will be functional.

If you don't want to deal with the head ache just take note that the shop can not weld very well and if you need something else done find a new shop at that time.

I would not spend anymore money on that.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by k0260
Can only determine so much from pictures, but I'd call it a day. The welds appear enough to be structurally sound. You mentioned holes, are there a lot? how big?
When the OP mentioned "holes" I think he was referring to the gaps in the bead of the weld. I don't think he meant holes burnt though the metal.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi

When the OP mentioned "holes" I think he was referring to the gaps in the bead of the weld. I don't think he meant holes burnt though the metal.
Yeah that's what I'm referring to...in the beads, pin holes, see through big enough etc..

Quick Reply: Bad C Gusset Welds? Need Advice