Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Backyard mechanic vs "Professional/ commercial" mechanic

Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY or Shop Instal - mix

What little I've done (so far) I've done myself, and thus far it's been straightforward and relatively simple.
CAI, TBS and even the cat-back was uninstall the stock stuff and re-install the aftermarket in pretty much the same location (minor adjustments of course).
replacing the OEM top with a frameless TrekTop - easy but having a buddy helps. Doors/mirrors were a no-brainer and the side guards/rock rails were simple and straightforward.

Next will be a few things that (for me) will likely be a bit more challenging. I'm going to try the bumper mod (mostly because I want to try it - worst case scenario I buy the aftermarket bumper I've been pining for) I'm on the fence about a leveling kit (daystar 3/4) If I get it, I'll do the installation myself (I don't have all the tools, nor a lift), but as a retiree, I can use Ft Carson's auto facility I put a 3.5" kit on my YJ years ago - it was only hard to start - once we got into it, it became more fun than work. Rims/tires - check - can do those at Ft Carson too. Can't lie - it's an awesome benefit and they have a nice facility.

Things I can do at home include flat-fenders, the bumper mod and electrical. This time around, I think the bigger challenge (again, for me as others find it simple) will be some lighting mods. From what others have said, it's not that bad and I've been taking copious notes from others here on the forum that have done it. I've learned quite a bit from their endeavors and I'm making some contacts along the way in case I get stuck I'll reach out. It is great to have a resource such as this forum with others similarly afflicted with Jeep-addiction.

The good thing about working at home is that I don't have the time constraint of finishing up AND being able to drive it home from the shop on base. I'm working on a nice list of mods and hope to have an equally nice and hopefully logical procession of what gets installed and/or modified. It will be a little bit before I can get to the mods, but I'll be sure to post some pics along the way.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5

That's when you hop on the forum and complain then say I should have did it myself

I look at it likes this if it has moving parts I am more likely to take to a shop
Engine work to a shop
Tranny work to a shop
Gears to a shop
Everything else my garage

I did my 2wd conversion in my garage but it really doesn't have any moving parts
X2. I totally agree!

Quick Reply: Backyard mechanic vs "Professional/ commercial" mechanic