Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Backyard mechanic vs "Professional/ commercial" mechanic

Old 02-06-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard mechanic vs "Professional/ commercial" mechanic

So in doing a lot of research on all of these forums about lifts, tires, gear ratios, sticks vs autos, and everything under the sun. My real burning question is how many of you actually work on your own rig as far as modifying it?

I'm a pretty handy guy and I feel confident working on just about anything other than the suspension of my vehicle, yes I understand that installing all the bolt on kits are fairly simple, but it seems easier paying a shop do it, yea it's extra money your forking out but maybe some peace of mind that everything was installed correctly IF it's a credited 4x4 shop.

So who's do the jobs themselves? If you have, would you do it again or would you pay for the installs?

Those of you who paid a shop to do your dirty work, who regretted that and what happened. Let hear all the nitty gritty down and dirty stories.

Sent from my Apple using iPhone.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

I do everything myself with help from others on areas I'm not comfortable with. I am a mechanic by profession just not on cars instead i work on buses but as we always say it's just nuts and bolts.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default if you want somthing done right do it yourself

youl rest better at night rather than pay and then wonder if they tightend that to specs
besides just cuz you pay someone dosent mean they didnt have a fight with thier ol lady the night before or drank a little more than they should have

ill take my chances that i might not totaly understand everything i need to do but once i figure it out i know i do things correct

and yeh somthings you just have to take it in to dealer if its warranty or beyond what is reasonable

i wouldnt go attempting welding gussets on my axle or sleeves when i wouldnt have the equipment or the skill or changing gears

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-06-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my last rig I purchased a lift online and brought the kit to the dealer to install, figuring they would be most knowledgeable and trusty. They installed things wrong and I had to go back twice to have it fixed. Now on my JK I do everything myself! I have over 100 hours labor into my rig and know everything was done right and with the money saved on paying for labor I have aquired plenty of tools, extra mods I could not have afforded otherwise.

The only mod I wouldn't attempt myself is gears. Suspension is very easy unless you are talking a welded long arm kit or something.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do it myself (or with the help of other JK owners in the area) for a few reasons.

1) I've seen some downright dangerous installs by "4x4 expert" shops in the area.
2) if I do it, I know everything was torqued properly.
3) when shit breaks on the trail I know how to fix it because I put it together in the first place.
4) it's really not that hard and saves a lot of cash for more upgrades
5) Install days are fun when you've got 6+ people working on a bunch of Jeeps.

The only thing I won't do myself is gears, because I don't have the proper tools and a list makes it a lot easier. All the info you need is available on the forums or in the community to do whatever you need.

When I bought my first JK in 2007 I didn't know how to change my oil. I converted that 2wd JKU to 4wd without the help of any professional or shop (other than the lift I borrowed for a few hours).

If you're in the Bay Area send me a PM and I'll get you hooked up with a good group around here to hang out with and learn from.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done a ton to my Jeep, but everything so far has been with my own two hands:

- Teraflex performance coil leveling kit. My father lent a hand with this one (he's a Mopar mechanic), but after doing it I wouldn't hesitate to do it again by myself.
- JKS Quicker Disconnects
- LOD Armor Lite front bumper
- Warn M8000s winch
- Wheels (I didn't mount the tires, though)

I'm a computer programmer by trade, so I'm definitely not a mechanic. I will say that I feel better knowing the hands that turned every wrench on every mod. It might be the programmer in me, but I'm anal about torque specs and double-checking everything (yes, I even torque the lug nuts on the spare), and feel better knowing that everything has been installed "by the book". If something fails, it won't be because a shortcut was taken during the install...

Now, when the time comes for gears, I'll drag the Jeep to a shop for that. In the immortal words of Men At Work, "I may be an idiot, but indeed I am no fool."
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Half the fun of owning a jeep is wrenching on it! I find most things are much simpler to take apart and put back together than other vehicles.

Torque paranoia? Its a jeep thing
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you let a shop do all the work.... who's going to know how to fix it when it breaks? Might want to think about that.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ABENDX
If you let a shop do all the work.... who's going to know how to fix it when it breaks? Might want to think about that.
That's when you hop on the forum and complain then say I should have did it myself

I look at it likes this if it has moving parts I am more likely to take to a shop
Engine work to a shop
Tranny work to a shop
Gears to a shop
Everything else my garage

I did my 2wd conversion in my garage but it really doesn't have any moving parts
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Before this jeep I had only changed my oil. Now Ive done everything to my jeep bit the re-gear, I did pull the axles myself and dropped them off. Its much more satisfying doing it yourself, really makes your jeep YOUR jeep.

Quick Reply: Backyard mechanic vs "Professional/ commercial" mechanic