Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Backup Camera placement?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvsacci
Install instructions are SO extensive! Will update once in install. For $230 hopefully it is as easy as they make it out to be.

https://www.cruxinterfacing.com/PDF/RVCCH-75WT.pdf

Just got around to installing this camera, and to be honest it was a pretty easy install, even for an accountant. Just some items to note:

- You will need to purchase a new grommet for the tailgate where the wires go through. The grommet for the 3rd brake light was molded on my 16 JKU, therefore I needed to cut that off and get a different grommet. Got something, but not ideal - will be looking for a better fit one.
- If you have a manual transmission, you need to power the backup camera from the back up lights. The camera power wire is just a little short, therefore I needed to solder an extension on to the provided wire. For an automatic transmission you just power the camera from the head unit.
- The unit provides an extra set of RCA A/V input and output that I ran to the passenger side foot well.
- They also have a Vehicle In Motion setting that allows you to watch videos on the head unit while driving. I don't trust myself, therefore did not activate this.

- One comment for improvement, the directions could be better. I noticed that the note about not being able to power the camera from the head unit for manual transmissions was on the online directions, but not on the directions provided.

Overall, it was a clean and easy install. Appears to be a nice all in one unit for the price. Yes, you can buy parts off Amazon for cheaper and jerry-rig something up and then argue with the dealer to activate it, but not worth the hassle.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco has a back up camera and replacement mirror for under $200 that I'm looking at. I just want to make sure I don't hit anything in reverse, so the crazy expensive ones just don't seem worth it.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new wrangler owner.
I have a spare tire cover. Is there a backup camera placement for the 3rd brake light bracket?
2012 wrangler sport 2dr.
Standard spare and wheel (so far, will update this fall).
Thanks

Quick Reply: Backup Camera placement?