Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Backspacing and Rubbing Issues with Teraflex Suspension Lift

Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Backspacing and Rubbing Issues with Teraflex Suspension Lift

I have narrowed down what I will be installing on my JK - 2.5" TF Suspension Lift Kit (w/ shocks), TF trackbar, TF flexarms (front lowers and rear uppers) and 35" tires (exact type to be determined). I had originally considered keeping my stock 17" rims and using Spidertrax spacers, but after doing some homework I am a bit scared to use spacers on a daily driver (I know it is rare to have issues, but I would just rather get new rims). I like the stock look of the rims so I find the Mamba MR1 .mambawheels.com/Mamba_Wheel_Line/Mamba_Type_MR1.htm[/url]) most attractive. Now, from what I have found out, the 17x8 MR1 has between 4.625" and 4.7" of backspacing. TF says the lift should use wheels with 4.5" of backspacing or less. Is this a MUST? If there is 0.125" to 0.2" more backspacing than suggested with this set-up what issues will I have? - rubbing, parts damage, etc? Daily driving issues or off-road/flexing issues? Thanks. I just want to clear this up, as clearly I don't understand what issues would be associated with this...

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-26-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: no clicky
Old 11-26-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the AEV Pintler Argents and they have about 4.7 of backspacing, and I have the same teraflex 2.5 coil lift with 35x12.50, and I have no issues with rub.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

what I'm really wondering is TECHNICALLY why does TF say 4.5" or less of backspacing. As in, what is the risk of running with more? Looking for the technical explanation. I have noticed the same thing...many people running this or similar lifts with the AEVs, etc. I just want to figure it out...

I have read the overview on what backspacing IS, so I get all that. I just have not read an explanation of what issues there are in running more than suggested backspacing. Any help is great.

Last edited by mikeyut3; 11-26-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyut3
what I'm really wondering is TECHNICALLY why does TF say 4.5" or less of backspacing. As in, what is the risk of running with more? Looking for the technical explanation. I have noticed the same thing...many people running this or similar lifts with the AEVs, etc. I just want to figure it out...
4.5 is the recommendation based on their testing. If you look around, you'll see that most other lift mfg's advise the same BS for 35x12.50's. Why? Because they know it works. Can you get by with slightly more BS? Sure. How much more? Depends. We all know that all tires measure differently, right?

Let's say we both have what the mfg calls a 35x12.50, in two different brands. Mounted, yours measure, 35x13, and mine measure 33.5x12. Which of us is more likely to rub? You are. Can the lift mfg possibly know 'which' specific tires anyone is running? Nope. All they can do is make a recommendation based on a lot of variables...

Get what you want. If it rubs, bring in the steer stops or trim a bit...

Oh, and the 'issues' with running more BS? Your tires rub. Could be the links, could be the skid, the inner wheel well, whatever. Turn your wheel full lock and go look. Shouldn't be hard to tell where it will rub.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-26-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
4.5 is the recommendation based on their testing. If you look around, you'll see that most other lift mfg's advise the same BS for 35x12.50's. Why? Because they know it works. Can you get by with slightly more BS? Sure. How much more? Depends. We all know that all tires measure differently, right?

Let's say we both have what the mfg calls a 35x12.50, in two different brands. Mounted, yours measure, 35x13, and mine measure 33.5x12. Which of us is more likely to rub? You are. Can the lift mfg possibly know 'which' specific tires anyone is running? Nope. All they can do is make a recommendation based on a lot of variables...

Get what you want. If it rubs, bring in the steer stops or trim a bit...

Oh, and the 'risk'? Your tire rubs. Could be the links, could be the skid, the inner wheel well, whatever. Turn your wheel full lock and go look. Shouldn't be hard to tell where it will rub.
thanks for the easy to understand explanation. the question I have is exactly what will rub? is it just fenders and inner plastic panels? or is it the lift mechanics, etc. also, will rubbing (if it does) occur happen in daily use or mainly in off-road scenarios? thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

thanks for the easy to understand explanation. the question I have is exactly what will rub? is it just fenders and inner plastic panels? or is it the lift mechanics, etc. also, will rubbing (if it does) occur happen in daily use or mainly in off-road scenarios? thanks.
In addition to rubbing in the wheel well, the links that TF ships with the kits are known to rub when using stock wheels. They suggest keeping the factory links if you stay with factory wheel/tires. Won't be an issue with the BS you chose.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi

...the question I have is exactly what will rub? is it just fenders and inner plastic panels? or is it the lift mechanics, etc. also, will rubbing (if it does) occur happen in daily use or mainly in off-road scenarios? thanks.
When it comes to the backspacing, the rubbing they're talking about would be your tires against the coil/suspension components. Rubbing on the fenders, etc. will be determined by the lift you have and whether or not you're disconnected, how much you're flexing, etc. The right backspacing pushes the wheel out further from the axle (exactly what adding wheel spacers would accomplish), thus allowing you to run wider tires. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
In addition to rubbing in the wheel well, the links that TF ships with the kits are known to rub when using stock wheels. They suggest keeping the factory links if you stay with factory wheel/tires. Won't be an issue with the BS you chose.
so basically with the mamba wheels with (4.625-4.7" of backspacing) the only rubbing I will have is maybe some wheel well (i.e. plastic - non-mechanical)? thanks again.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
When it comes to the backspacing, the rubbing they're talking about would be your tires against the coil/suspension components. Rubbing on the fenders, etc. will be determined by the lift you have and whether or not you're disconnected, how much you're flexing, etc. The right backspacing pushes the wheel out further from the axle (exactly what adding wheel spacers would accomplish), thus allowing you to run wider tires. Hope this helps.
that makes sense. it's just hard to match all this stuff up. drives me nuts that TF says 4.5 or less and mamba (the only wheel i really like) is 4.625 to 4.7. i know its only .125 to .2 inches, but given that im no where near an expert in this stuff (yet) i dont know if that will be an issue. i CERTAINLY dont want to risk ruining my suspension and/or risk on-road failure because i have the wrong wheels. i just want to do it right.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi

Trust me, we've all been down that road. And like someone else mentioned earlier - it's hard to figure out all the variables and combinations. At least you're not going with Steel Wheels which can be off on their backspacing a little bit. Good luck with your build and let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Backspacing and Rubbing Issues with Teraflex Suspension Lift