Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

backspacing explained.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backspacing explained.

Searched for Backspacing/back spacing/backspace/back space/wheel space/rim backspacing and so on... alot of stuff that has nothing to do with any of that comes up....

Can someone (like WOL) explain the concept of backspacing ?

you hear things like oh 4.5 bs is good but 5 is not enough....

So ? the lower the number is the farther the face of the rim (the part that will bolt onto the hub) is sticking out ?? I am not sure I get it....

Picture ==== as the axel... ____ and ------ as the top and bottom of the rim and i's as the rim connecting to the hub....

____
i
i=====
i
------
0 offset with 5'' bs

____
i
i======
i
------
? offset with ?? + BS? or - BS??
and the same for
____
i
i====
i
-----
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times
Searched for Backspacing/back spacing/backspace/back space/wheel space/rim backspacing and so on... alot of stuff that has nothing to do with any of that comes up....

Can someone (like WOL) explain the concept of backspacing ?

you hear things like oh 4.5 bs is good but 5 is not enough....

So ? the lower the number is the farther the face of the rim (the part that will bolt onto the hub) is sticking out ?? I am not sure I get it....

Picture ==== as the axel... ____ and ------ as the top and bottom of the rim and i's as the rim connecting to the hub....

____
i
i=====
i
------
0 offset with 5'' bs

____
i
i======
i
------
? offset with ?? + BS? or - BS??
and the same for
____
i
i====
i
-----

well the pictures looked like shit... sorry I dont know why its not picking up the way it looks...

the first one is 5'' bs dead center... the second and third were all the way to the left and to the right to show difference...

No one prob has any Idea what I am talking about... oh well.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From this --> MODIFIED TECH FAQ - Answers to the Questions Every Newbie Has

The very first thread in this section.

gives this:
Pretty decent diagram in there showing the #'s
I think if you read through that you should be all set?

the more the backspacing, the more the wheels will be sucked into the Jeep, the less the number, the more they stick out.

(and yes, it's very confusing at first, but the picture in the FAQ's helps a lot.)
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

the term Back spacinging pretty much sums up what back spacing is... the number represents the number of inches from the back of the rim to the back of the mounting face on the rim. so if you have a rim with 5" of back space that is too deep into the rim (measuring from the back) and will cause you problems when turning and other rubbing issues when you put a wide tire on it.
3.5" to 4" is Ideal for the JK on a 8" rim 4" od BS will put the mounting face in the center of the rim

hope this helps

Quick Reply: backspacing explained.