Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

B-Pillar repair questions

Old 08-11-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-Pillar repair questions

went out last weekend and kissed a tree...anyone have any experience repairing b-pillars...should i use stud weld dent puller. I think the pillar is welded into place so replacing it is not an option? any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_115006.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	621179   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_115013.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	621180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_115019_001.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	621181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_115024.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	621182   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_115035.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	621184  

Old 09-24-2024, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B Pillar Repair

Originally Posted by THEBOMBER3
went out last weekend and kissed a tree...anyone have any experience repairing b-pillars...should i use stud weld dent puller. I think the pillar is welded into place so replacing it is not an option? any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2024, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by THEBOMBER3
The pillar is welded in place, so replacing the outer portion would be a significant amount of work - drilling out all the spot welds and separating the outer panel from the structural pillar, then welding a new one in place. Personally, I wouldn’t do that since it can compromise the structural integrity if not done correctly (a lot of heat generated during the welding process).

I guess a lot depends on the results you’re looking for: prevent rust and make it presentable, or restore the appearance to factory. It doesn’t look like the damage is too bad, so the stud-weld dent puller would do a fair job, but I can’t tell if there are any creases/hard bends. Those are much more difficult to fix.
Old Today, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the doors open and shut fine then I think you have time to decide, maybe find a body pro to talk to, as we aren’t unibody, there may not be as much of a structural issue.
My SWAG is you can get most of it out, perhaps by drilling from the inside and tapping out, just use a piece of steel on the outside to beat against if you do, like a bucking bar is used for riveting.
I think you can get most of it out, not all then it’s Bondo, some of that metal is likely stretched is why.

But then I’m no body pro.
Old Today, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by a64pilot
If the doors open and shut fine then I think you have time to decide, maybe find a body pro to talk to, as we aren’t unibody, there may not be as much of a structural issue.
My SWAG is you can get most of it out, perhaps by drilling from the inside and tapping out, just use a piece of steel on the outside to beat against if you do, like a bucking bar is used for riveting.
I think you can get most of it out, not all then it’s Bondo, some of that metal is likely stretched is why.

But then I’m no body pro.
Unibody or conventional frame vehicle doesn’t matter in this case - pillars are always a structural component. In this case, the pillar itself was not damaged, just the outer skin. If you look at the video posted above, you can see the actual “structural” pillar once the skin is removed.

I would not drill into the back side, as that is a structural component, and doing so will compromise the strength.

Quick Reply: B-Pillar repair questions