Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle U-joints and ball joints shot

Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the JK back today after having the ball joints and axle u-joints replaced. I'm looking underneath to see what was done and wondering if this black plastic cap shown in the picture is supposed to be flush on the axle tube opening or if it's ok where it is ? It seems to me if it were flush on the opening it would help keep some of the gunk out of the axle tube but I don't remember how it was seated before the shop took the front axle shafts out. Just thought I'd ask here before I called the shop back ... Any ideas ?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Got the JK back today after having the ball joints and axle u-joints replaced. I'm looking underneath to see what was done and wondering if this black plastic cap shown in the picture is supposed to be flush on the axle tube opening or if it's ok where it is ? It seems to me if it were flush on the opening it would help keep some of the gunk out of the axle tube but I don't remember how it was seated before the shop took the front axle shafts out. Just thought I'd ask here before I called the shop back ... Any ideas ?

Thats just a dust cover, doesn't really do anything, mines in that spot too. Your real seal is inside the axle tube close to the pumpkin.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Thats just a dust cover, doesn't really do anything, mines in that spot too. Your real seal is inside the axle tube close to the pumpkin.
Good to know mk...thanks for the quick response.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

So if this black cap/cover on the axle is not designed to be flush against the axle tube opening what is it's purpose ?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Decoration Probably there just for them to be able to say they had an outside seal to help keep large objects out. All the jk's I've seen are like that.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if this black cap/cover on the axle is not designed to be flush against the axle tube opening what is it's purpose ?
It just keeps some dirt and dust out of the axle tube. I an be pushed closer to close the gap more. If you're really concerned about sealing your axle, look at the Superior Axle seal kit.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Well almost exactly 11 months after all 4 ball joints were replaced (with Mopar part number 68004085AA) the driver side is squeaking horribly. It was in the shop on Friday and the mechanic said the joints have no play but they squeak real loud when the wheel is turned. He lifted the rubber boot on the joint and cleaned some dirt out and filled it with grease the best he could (for a none greasable joint) but these things still sound horrible. I'm trying to see if he'll warranty this installation since it was less than a year ago but don't want to get my hopes up due to the mods possibly contributing to premature failure... at the very least I hope to negotiate an reasonable upgrade estimate for a set of Dynatracs.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Dynatracs for $595 shipped. I think that's the best deal around. Give me a call and I'll see what I can do, better.

626-872-4571

Well almost exactly 11 months after all 4 ball joints were replaced (with Mopar part number 68004085AA) the driver side is squeaking horribly. It was in the shop on Friday and the mechanic said the joints have no play but they squeak real loud when the wheel is turned. He lifted the rubber boot on the joint and cleaned some dirt out and filled it with grease the best he could (for a none greasable joint) but these things still sound horrible. I'm trying to see if he'll warranty this installation since it was less than a year ago but don't want to get my hopes up due to the mods possibly contributing to premature failure... at the very least I hope to negotiate an reasonable upgrade estimate for a set of Dynatracs.

Quick Reply: axle U-joints and ball joints shot