Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle U-joints and ball joints shot

Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by redrockin7
Cool, easy enough... .050" huh? So basically if there is any play, it's bad, LOL.
0.050" is quite a bit when looking at the ball joint.
Mine are at 0.015". It is plenty visible, but not enough the replace, since I have no other symptoms of loose suspension.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
0.050" is quite a bit when looking at the ball joint.
Mine are at 0.015". It is plenty visible, but not enough the replace, since I have no other symptoms of loose suspension.
Sorry I'm no pro at this - what did you use to measure the play?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a dial indicator on a magnetic mount.
I set the magnetic mount on the axle C, and the indicator plunger on the end of the lower ball joint bolt. I read the dial as someone lifts the tire up and down with the pry bar.

As for the top joint, it has no side-to-side play, so I don't bother to set up on it.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Yom
JK Newbie

just had all my joints replaced as well. all screwed. drivers side so much so that you could see the wheel flopping about while driving.

new units look bigger and better quality than the originals. fingers crossed they last a bit longer.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yom
just had all my joints replaced as well. all screwed. drivers side so much so that you could see the wheel flopping about while driving.

new units look bigger and better quality than the originals. fingers crossed they last a bit longer.
are you talking about ball joints or hub bearings?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

can the ball joints be replaced at a home garage?
what tools would i need and is there a write-up for this?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:41 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roguejk
can the ball joints be replaced at a home garage?
what tools would i need and is there a write-up for this?
Yes you can do it at home with the right tools. Youd need a ball joint press and the adapters for it to fit the jeep. I havent personally done it, but have kinda watched others doing it. Didnt look to hard, pull the tires/brakes, pull out front shafts, press the old ones out, press the new ones in. No right up that i know of here yet. The axles are pretty standerd though, might be one elsewhere. I would have to look for one myself.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Yom
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
are you talking about ball joints or hub bearings?
Talking about what is commonly referred to as the knuckle ball joints. 4 of them. Even though the upper is technically a pin and lower is the ball joint.

I tell you though (as you reminded me of it)...I miss kingpin arrangement I had on my last 4wd. Much preferred the tapered bearing and being able to change shim thickness to tighten things up when/if required. Much more durable setup...oh well.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Yes you can do it at home with the right tools. Youd need a ball joint press and the adapters for it to fit the jeep. I havent personally done it, but have kinda watched others doing it. Didnt look to hard, pull the tires/brakes, pull out front shafts, press the old ones out, press the new ones in. No right up that i know of here yet. The axles are pretty standerd though, might be one elsewhere. I would have to look for one myself.
I saw that my auto parts store does lend out the tool I need so maybe when I do my gears and front Aussie locker I'll tackle it. Thanx for the input and maybe I'll do a noobie write-up to spark someone elses interest who has more experience to do their own. And no I'm not doing the gear and locker install myself my buddies doing it.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

googled this: D30 Upper/Lower Ball Joint Replacement:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/technical/listing.cfm?articleID=222

Quick Reply: axle U-joints and ball joints shot