Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle swap and RK 3.5 lift installed NOW IN LIMP MODE!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle swap and RK 3.5 lift installed NOW IN LIMP MODE!!!

As the title says, installed Rubi axles and a RK 3.5 lift. Now I'm in friggin limp mode!!! Had to drive from Dallas to Fort Worth at 3900 RPMs.

What the crap happened to my baby???

Also, now I have this squealing sound coming from the front passenger side brake caliper. I'm praying it's not the axle shaft rubbing on the axle after having sleeves and truss installed. If that's the case then my shit must have been warped during welding. But I had it done at a reputable shop that knows what they're doing. I'm hoping I can just take the brake caliper apart and retorque everything.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if the ABS tone rings could be off? The Canbus system is a tricky booger! I just had the 4WheelParts on Camp Bowie install my built Rubi 44's 3 weeks ago. After torquing every thing down and finally reconnecting the battery, all of the dash lights would come on, there was an audible chime, and then the gauges would stop working. The radio also wasn't working. After brainstorming for awhile, I finally discovered that it was the Lockpick causing the issue. Removed it, and all was well. Not sure what changed. Going to try and reinstall it whenever I get home to see if the rebooting of the main computer will fix it.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you use a programmer for the different gears?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olram30
Did you use a programmer for the different gears?
Plugged in my Procal to set the gear ratio to 4.10 and that turned off the check engine light that has come on.. But still stuck in limp mode

Edit:
I guess the installer should have used the Procal when swapping axles BEFORE firing up the engine/computer. 2012+ will detect the change in gear ratio and send an error code. Now if only I can unf-ck the error code/computer.

Maybe disconnect the battery? Read that somewhere...

Last edited by flomingo; 06-12-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds trans related because I've gone into limp mode and couldnt rev past 2,500.

Pull the codes and post them up. We can get you pointed in the right direction with the DTC's.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
Sounds trans related because I've gone into limp mode and couldnt rev past 2,500.

Pull the codes and post them up. We can get you pointed in the right direction with the DTC's.
How do I pull the codes? I'll google it anyway, but just in case...
Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

IIRC, you cycle the ignition 3 times without starting the engine and the codes will pop up on the dash. Have a pen and paper ready
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Take it back to the shop and say 'fix this BS!' If it's a good shop, they need to figure it out.

I had a shop swap in a Rubi do front on my Sport. No issues.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suicideking
Take it back to the shop and say 'fix this BS!' If it's a good shop, they need to figure it out.

I had a shop swap in a Rubi do front on my Sport. No issues.
They will definitely be hearing from me tomorrow. I'll be back there in a few days anyway for my Tom Woods driveshafts to be installed.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:25 AM
JK Junkie

Check the wheel speed sensors. It's not uncommon for people to forget to put them back in and that would cause the issue you're having. They also break very easily, so that is something to keep in mind.

Great example of why people should do the work themselves.....

Quick Reply: Axle swap and RK 3.5 lift installed NOW IN LIMP MODE!!!