Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Swap ?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if you are going to swap axles and driveshafts, you might as well as swap the transfer case. I would much rather have the 4:1 than the Sport Transfer Case.

Last edited by jsears; 09-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 and 2013 need new front drive shaft if u lift them over 2.5" if it's only 2.5" u can use the exhaust spacer rancho sells. I did my research for my 3.5" lift on my 12 rubi. No point on spending $350 on afe y pipe when $100 more get a new ds. Plus with the y pipe the evo skids don't fit. And I think I read u wanted to swap out the rear axle??? Why? It's a Dana 44, just throw in a used set of 4.10, I'm sure u can get them for close to nothing.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

This seems like a lot of work and cash to do all this to a sport. Think about it, it might be more cost effective to just buy a new rubi, you are doing all this work just to be rubicon with no warranty.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MallCrawl
Is the dealership fine with you trading in a Rubi without lockers, and a D30 upfront?

Pretty sure you are going to have to run some type of wire into the cab for the lockers. For one,they are electronic lockers so you are going to have to get electrical power from somewhere. Plus, are you going to get out of the Jeep everything you need to flip your lockers on and off?
I am not trading the vehicle in it is being repossesed. Im buying a 2012 sport to replace my 2010 rubi (cant afford another rubi ). Its a long story but im basicaly getting screwed. Good point on the power source for the locker cant believe I didnt think of that lol . I guess ill just cut the wire at the differential and install some arb air lockers when I get the funds. These e lockers dont work in 4hi anyway
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MallCrawl
Also, if you are going to swap axles and driveshafts, you might as well as swap the transfer case. I would much rather have the 4:1 than the Sport Transfer Case.
The transfer case swap did cross my mind but dont see the advantage being worth the extra work. I could be wrong if so please correct me
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

They will work in hi with a super chip installed.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Riznoy
2012 and 2013 need new front drive shaft if u lift them over 2.5" if it's only 2.5" u can use the exhaust spacer rancho sells. I did my research for my 3.5" lift on my 12 rubi. No point on spending $350 on afe y pipe when $100 more get a new ds. Plus with the y pipe the evo skids don't fit. And I think I read u wanted to swap out the rear axle??? Why? It's a Dana 44, just throw in a used set of 4.10, I'm sure u can get them for close to nothing.
Originally Posted by Riznoy
This seems like a lot of work and cash to do all this to a sport. Think about it, it might be more cost effective to just buy a new rubi, you are doing all this work just to be rubicon with no warranty.
Im reinstalling my teraflex 2.5 coil lift. The guy from teraflex said all i need is exhaust spacers on the 2012 im hoping i dont need a driveshaft. Yes i would like to swap out the rear axle for my old rubi axle because it has 410s already installed. Im sure 410s i can find cheap but I dont know how to install gears and dont want to pay some guy $500 to install 410s

It is definately going to be a lot of work but its an even swap between 2 jeeps so money isnt really a factor unless im paying someone to do it. I didnt have an extra 10k to buy my second rubi in 10 years so i had to get a sport. Like i mentioned before my rubi is getting repossesed and i got screwed shit happens
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Alabamacoalminer
They will work in hi with a super chip installed.
Thanks but superchips dont work for 2012 thats why mine is up for sale
Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default jeep

Repossed usually means not paying your bills , and if you can't pay for it , why buy a new one and try to turn it into a Rubicon?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Monte417

The transfer case swap did cross my mind but dont see the advantage being worth the extra work. I could be wrong if so please correct me
Granted I have an 07 not a 12. But on 37's with 5.13's I am constantly having to give the Jeep gas the crawl in 4-lo with the sport tc. My buddy with the same set up but on a Rubi doesn't touch his gas, it crawls along for days.

I wish I had the rubi tc.

Quick Reply: Axle Swap ?