Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Swap ?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle Swap ?

Ok guys im picking up a new 2012 sport today to replace my 2010 rubi. The sport has the 321s which wont cut it with my 35s so is there anyone out there with experience swapping dana 30 axles with the rubi axles? Is there anything I need to know or extra parts needed like driveshafts etc? I searched a bit for a write up but was unsuccesful. Im hoping its just bolt on bolt off. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not completely sure what else is needed but the obvious is that the rear axle will have to be regeared to match the front.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

instead of regearing the rear i was going to swap that axle as well. Have to install my lift anyway and figured ide save some money on the regear

Last edited by Monte417; 09-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Well then it should just be bolt off bolt on.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Different drive shafts, but if you are lifting it then you will be getting those anyways. Also, you will need to get the switch panel and harness for the lockers.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKbender
Different drive shafts, but if you are lifting it then you will be getting those anyways. Also, you will need to get the switch panel and harness for the lockers.
This is what I was afraid of. I was hoping I can get away with the stock ones until they wore out. Can I use my rubi driveshafts? Will they fit on the sport transfer case?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

bump
Anyone else have any experience doing this type of axle swap? From my understanding I need to use the driveshafts from the old rubi to put on the new sport and get the kit for the elockers. Anything else I should know?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Monte417

This is what I was afraid of. I was hoping I can get away with the stock ones until they wore out. Can I use my rubi driveshafts? Will they fit on the sport transfer case?
I am not sure. You would need to check the yoke types on both transfer cases to see if they are different or not.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKbender
I am not sure. You would need to check the yoke types on both transfer cases to see if they are different or not.
Thanks I guess ill just have to size them up during the project. Does anyone know if there is some type of manual switch for the elockers? Dont want to bother to run wiring to put a switch in the jeep just want to cut the cable and rig something on the underside by the differential. I remember reading somewhere there is a kit for that for people looking to install rubi axles on their sports
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Is the dealership fine with you trading in a Rubi without lockers, and a D30 upfront?

Pretty sure you are going to have to run some type of wire into the cab for the lockers. For one,they are electronic lockers so you are going to have to get electrical power from somewhere. Plus, are you going to get out of the Jeep everything you need to flip your lockers on and off?

Quick Reply: Axle Swap ?