Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Suggestions

Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
You can't sleeve the rear axle. Only the front can be sleeved.
Ok thank you. What is the spline count on the stock axle. Want to make sure I order the correct one.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeered
Ok thank you. What is the spline count on the stock axle. Want to make sure I order the correct one.
Front
Rubicon - 30sp inner, 32sp outer
non-rubi - 27sp inner, 32sp outer

Rear
Rubicon - 32 sp
Non-Rubi - 30 sp
Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious...how did you guys bend your axles?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It is usually the rear flanges bending. Tends to happen when big, heavy JK's run big, heavy tires.

That is why many people like Ten Factory and G2, since they will warranty bent flanges.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bent my stock rear flange by sliding sideways into a rut. This is when I was still on the stock wheels and tires.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoBig
Just curious...how did you guys bend your axles?
I am not sure how I bent them. I have a rattle sound coming from the rear. The stealership says it's my axles. I am fully loaded when I go camping wife, kids, dogs, etc.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
That dealership is trying to rape you. Rear axles are a one hour job. Parts are about $400 for aftermarket chromoly axles.
Is there any way to tell if the axles are bent without pulling them. The dealership tells me they are bent but it does not look like they pulled them their is still dirt in all the bolts.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeered
Is there any way to tell if the axles are bent without pulling them. The dealership tells me they are bent but it does not look like they pulled them their is still dirt in all the bolts.
Yes. You put the rear axle on jack stands so that the tires are elevated. Then, you run the engine with the tranny in gear so that the wheels are turning. Then, you watch the rear disc brakes to see if they run true or if they are wobbling between the rear brake calipers.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Yes. You put the rear axle on jack stands so that the tires are elevated. Then, you run the engine with the tranny in gear so that the wheels are turning. Then, you watch the rear disc brakes to see if they run true or if they are wobbling between the rear brake calipers.
Do I need to take the tires off? Sorry for all the questions. Have had jeeps along time but never axle problems.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

To get the best view of the rotors- yes, pull the wheels off. You can run 3 lug nuts back on to keep the rotor snug on the shaft.

In a perfect world you would have a dial indicator to make sure that there is no (or very little) variance in the rounds of the rotor. But- you'll be able to see if it's bent.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Axle Suggestions