Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Sleeves Worth It?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Axle Sleeves Worth It?

I am curious if axle sleeves are really worth it. It makes sense to me that they would reinforce the housing as it is filling the gap between the shaft and housing. I don't believe it will help with the torque on the axle from control arms where people such as trail bud have seen the housing break. Also do the tubes sit on the axle shafts where there will be more heat/friction? Also if i broke an axle shaft how much would t he sleeves make it a pain to remove those? I believe that's all the questions that came to mind so far. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maertz
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
I am curious if axle sleeves are really worth it. It makes sense to me that they would reinforce the housing as it is filling the gap between the shaft and housing. I don't believe it will help with the torque on the axle from control arms where people such as trail bud have seen the housing break. Also do the tubes sit on the axle shafts where there will be more heat/friction? Also if i broke an axle shaft how much would t he sleeves make it a pain to remove those? I believe that's all the questions that came to mind so far. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maertz
The axle shaft is not in contact with the axle sleeve, so there would be no increase in friction. The sleeve does not entirely fill the gap between the housing and the shaft.

For me, I saw it as a relatively inexpensive upgrade that could help prevent something getting damaged and having a costly repair.

Last edited by PsychoCupcake; 10-25-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The sleeve gives more thickness to your axle tube so the do not flex...

For example this is not the real numbers because I don't know the real axle tube thinkness and sleeve thickness......
Would you rather have 1/4inch or 1/2 inch tubes.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt that what gusseting does though so why not just gusset the housing put stronger axles in and call it good.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by a4x4high
Isnt that what gusseting does though so why not just gusset the housing put stronger axles in and call it good.
its really easy to bend the axle tubes with a truss. The sleeves are a simple effective solution to strengthen the axle tubes
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

First off bending an axle housing is not "easy" for 99% of people. I would invest the money and get shafts first. Go through and tell me how many people you can find who have broke or bent their housing. Minimal compared to shafts and other parts.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sleeving vs Gussets

Originally Posted by a4x4high
Sleeving refers to reinforcing the axle tubing and comes in two forms. Internal sleeves are inserted into the axle housing and increase the "thickness" of the housing between the housing and the axle. Some manufactures of internal sleeves are: Rock-Slide Engineering, Poly Performance, Tereflex, Iron Rock, EVO, and Nitro. I believe all but the Nitro require holes to be drilled in the housing then plug welding the sleeve to the axle tubes. The Nitro is pressed/(pounded) into place using friction of a precision fit.

An alternate method is to sleeve the outside of the housing. Rock Slide Engineering has an outer sleeve kit. This increases the "thickness" of the axle tube by adding material to the external or outside of the tubing.

Gusseting refers to the reinforcement of the "C" part of the axle(knuckle) and is typically installed on the lower and upper sections of the "C". There are two options for these as well. Solid flat (and thick) gussets are available through Rock Slide, Terraflex, JKS, and Pure Jeep. The other option is metal that is formed into a "U" shape and is welded in place on both sides of the "U" or "C" section. This style can be obtained through, Poly Performance, Iron Rock, Nitro, and EVO.

Trusses (reinforce the entire axle tube assembly and are welded to the "pumkin" and each side of the housing) are available from Pure Jeep and Artec.

Hope this helps clarify

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
Sleeving refers to reinforcing the axle tubing and comes in two forms. Internal sleeves are inserted into the axle housing and increase the "thickness" of the housing between the housing and the axle. Some manufactures of internal sleeves are: Rock-Slide Engineering, Poly Performance, Tereflex, Iron Rock, EVO, and Nitro. I believe all but the Nitro require holes to be drilled in the housing then plug welding the sleeve to the axle tubes. The Nitro is pressed/(pounded) into place using friction of a precision fit.

An alternate method is to sleeve the outside of the housing. Rock Slide Engineering has an outer sleeve kit. This increases the "thickness" of the axle tube by adding material to the external or outside of the tubing.

Gusseting refers to the reinforcement of the "C" part of the axle(knuckle) and is typically installed on the lower and upper sections of the "C". There are two options for these as well. Solid flat (and thick) gussets are available through Rock Slide, Terraflex, JKS, and Pure Jeep. The other option is metal that is formed into a "U" shape and is welded in place on both sides of the "U" or "C" section. This style can be obtained through, Poly Performance, Iron Rock, Nitro, and EVO.

Trusses (reinforce the entire axle tube assembly and are welded to the "pumkin" and each side of the housing) are available from Pure Jeep and Artec.

Hope this helps clarify

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Yes it does so let me rephrase my question would gussetting and trussing make the axle just as strong as sleeving?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Gussets do not have any effect of axle tubes. A truss will help the tubes like when you sleeve the axle. If your getting into the debate what's stronger sleeve vs truss, it depends on so many factors.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

I really didn't want to start welding and sleeving my axles right off the hop in a 2013 Jeep but everybody I talked to said with 35" tires and up if off roading its a good idea. So I ordered both a full gusset pkg and sleeves. 3 gussets for each side and two different length axle tube sleeves $312. I ordered heavy duty upper and lower ball joints as well $250.

Quick Reply: Axle Sleeves Worth It?