Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle sleeves

Old 04-20-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

EVO has a vid of the sleeve install. May as well go to the source if you are looking at their magnum sleeves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrWbREGB7w
Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting regeared in a couple of weeks. Since everything is going to be apart, is it worth is to get the axle sleeves installed on a Jeep with 33" (32 1/4) tires on a Jeep that is an expedition vehicle not so much a rock crawler? I'm not going to go bigger in tire size than what I have.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd skip the sleeves completely. Knowing what I know now, I'd do the gussets and an outer truss like the artec. That will provide much greater strength than inner sleeves and won't cause and clearance issues if you want to move up to a larger spline count axle (I wanted to move to 35 spline in my rubi but the TF sleeves prevent that).

Do some research on the difference between the sleeves and truss and you will be surprised. Lots of my friends are doing trusses now and they much more "techie" than me in what works best.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah in lookin at the evo sleeves.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I'd skip the sleeves completely. Knowing what I know now, I'd do the gussets and an outer truss like the artec. That will provide much greater strength than inner sleeves and won't cause and clearance issues if you want to move up to a larger spline count axle (I wanted to move to 35 spline in my rubi but the TF sleeves prevent that).

Do some research on the difference between the sleeves and truss and you will be surprised. Lots of my friends are doing trusses now and they much more "techie" than me in what works best.
See this is what confuses me. Trusses or sleeves. I hear sleeves
Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Sleeved and gusset kits are good for strengthening your front axle from bending and breakage...the weld on gussets are meant to make some of the weaker points near control arms and steering knuckles stronger or easier to slide over such things as rocks...I have sleeved and gusseted my 08 Rubicon and couldn't be happier with it....if you wheel anywhere rough...you need this done
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

I used a Nitro Gear & Axle Sleeve kit...easy install tough as nails...just freeze the sleeve before install make pushing into tube of axle way easier
Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

those guys in the first video must be rich.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeeper319
Sleeved and gusset kits are good for strengthening your front axle from bending and breakage...done

To a point. Sleeves still leave certain areas of the housing untouched leaving weak points near the pumpkin. The Artec truss kit strengthens the entire axle housing.

I don't remember the specs but sleeves strengthen an axle by like 66%. Trusses strengthen it significantly more. I'll see if I can get the expected stats.

All of my wheeling friends that are running 37's and up are using truss kits. We do a lot of rock crawling and tend to drop our jeeps off ledges quite a bit. If sleeves were sufficient strength, I would be seeing more people i wheel with use then when they regear. But most are just adding trusses.

Last edited by mpkelley20; 04-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Here is a screen shot from another thread that better explains sleeves and trusses (although this thread was about pro rock 44 vs built up rubi housing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-892804901.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	449334  

Quick Reply: Axle sleeves