Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle sleeve questions

Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen that most guys weld them
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had my Nitro sleeves in now for about 20K miles. I can't see how they would ever slip, spin, etc. in the axle tube. They're just in there too tight. Add to this the last inch or so is knurled to grip the tube. If you're really worried about them, you can always weld the end of the sleeve to the tube as well. Those things sat in a deep freezer for a week before I put them in and it still took two large men (me and a buddy) a 20lb sledge to seat then all the way. They are permanent.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sdr0303
I've had my Nitro sleeves in now for about 20K miles. I can't see how they would ever slip, spin, etc. in the axle tube. They're just in there too tight. Add to this the last inch or so is knurled to grip the tube. If you're really worried about them, you can always weld the end of the sleeve to the tube as well. Those things sat in a deep freezer for a week before I put them in and it still took two large men (me and a buddy) a 20lb sledge to seat then all the way. They are permanent.
Thank you for the replies.

That being the case, mine were definately not manufactured correctly. That long one went in too easy, and is absolutely not tight. I cleaned the tube with only a paint roller and brake cleaner, I didn't use anything abrasive, so I could not have made the tube over-size. It's just that this sleeve is too small. Even with the knurled ends, I can pull it out with my fingers.

I think I have about 5K miles on it since they were installed.

gonna have to put some welds on it.....
Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Welded my Nitro's. I'd contact Nitro, they might send you out some new ones and inspect the olds ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1396136523.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	523377

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3734831654.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	523378
Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks!

I sent Nitro an email last night using the form on their website. I included my phone number at the end. Got a call from them this morning. Very nice guy. He suggested coating the sleeve in green lock-tite, which is the same thing my machinist Dad suggested. Nitro also suggested I could add knurling if I have access to a lathe (which i do).
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Please tell me they had you check the OD of the sleeves they sent you? I can't imagine that their production tolerances are that far off. I would have expected for them to verify that you were within a few thousands of the expected OD and if not send you a new set of sleeves. Their sleeve should be TIGHT, not moving around in the axle tube at all. I wouldn't green lock-tite anything until I verified that. If the sleeves check out correctly, then I'd go have a look at your axle tubes. Something doesn't sound right.

Worse case, you can essentially treat the Nitro sleeves like a weld-in sleeve. For the sleeve to achieve maximum strength it needs to be an "integral" part of the axle tube. This means no gap between the sleeve and the ID of the axle tube.

- S
Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sdr0303
Please tell me they had you check the OD of the sleeves they sent you? I can't imagine that their production tolerances are that far off. I would have expected for them to verify that you were within a few thousands of the expected OD and if not send you a new set of sleeves. Their sleeve should be TIGHT, not moving around in the axle tube at all. I wouldn't green lock-tite anything until I verified that. If the sleeves check out correctly, then I'd go have a look at your axle tubes. Something doesn't sound right.

Worse case, you can essentially treat the Nitro sleeves like a weld-in sleeve. For the sleeve to achieve maximum strength it needs to be an "integral" part of the axle tube. This means no gap between the sleeve and the ID of the axle tube.

- S
I expected them to ask that too. I didn't have the information handy, as I have not mic'ed them but I did expect they might ask. When I tackle this project, I will check them and sent that information back to Nitro, and ask the question.

I agree with what you are saying, and previously I've only heard of people having the opposite problem of them being too tight.

Last edited by Rivertoys; 01-15-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Former Member

After installing many of these myself, I would not trust the sleeve if it went in there that loose. The first gen Nitro sleeves were much harder to install than the current gen ones, but not so easy that it's going to take a light tap to install the long side.

I do not agree with the idea of locktite or anything else holding that side in other than having it work as originally designed with the knurling providing the main bite into the axle tube. Please contact Nitro again and ask for a replacement.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Just want to make clear, the Loctite they are suggesting is not thread lockers, but the bearing and shaft Loctite designed specifically for press fittings.

Quick Reply: axle sleeve questions