Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle sleeve questions

Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle sleeve questions

long an short i have heard nightmares about banging in the nitro sleeves and i am not talented enough with a welder to use the weld in. so here are my questions

what would happen if you did not weld the sleeves. i know it would not be a tight enough fit to act as one tube but wouldnt it provide some protection (if you could explain i would appreciate it).

i have used a two part bonding agent for sheet metal with great success. what are the opinions of using this on the weld in sleeves? how tight a fit are they?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
long an short i have heard nightmares about banging in the nitro sleeves and i am not talented enough with a welder to use the weld in. so here are my questions

what would happen if you did not weld the sleeves. i know it would not be a tight enough fit to act as one tube but wouldnt it provide some protection (if you could explain i would appreciate it).

i have used a two part bonding agent for sheet metal with great success. what are the opinions of using this on the weld in sleeves? how tight a fit are they?
Search nitro sleeves and you will find our video and thread on our install. Once we got a 20 pound sledge hammer and built a good tool it was easy.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself. To me just having the sleeves in there is helping yeah I know welding them bonds them but the outer tube can again become the weak point with the holes drilled in it. I'm gonna do just what you are suggesting use something to bond them just to keep it from moving around in the outer tube and stick it in there I have no welding skills and out east I really don't know anyone who would weld them, to me if you screw it up then you will need a new front. Im just waiting for some funds to get the sleeves, but this is what I'm gonna do especially since its still under warranty I think they would frown on the holes drilled in the axles.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Get all the prep work done then call a mobile welder/mechanic to weld them in.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have heard of non welded sleeves "rotating" inside the housing causing major havok on other things....ie axle shafts and gears. Just something to consider.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a thought, but having weld in sleeves not welded in......why spend the funds on the sleeves? Hell youre there anyway. Pull the axel and take it to a shop so its done right. Dont go the 90 and leave the 10.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brian.243
Get all the prep work done then call a mobile welder/mechanic to weld them in.
what he said.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's an axel sleeve and what is it's purpose?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VolsJeep
What's an axel sleeve and what is it's purpose?
It's a tube that slid inside the existing axle tube, then welded in place to strengthen the axle and help prevent it from bending.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bull
Just a thought, but having weld in sleeves not welded in......why spend the funds on the sleeves? Hell youre there anyway. Pull the axel and take it to a shop so its done right. Dont go the 90 and leave the 10.
I agree 100%! You can even take it down to your local welding school and have them do it. They might even do it for free. There always looking for new projects.

Quick Reply: axle sleeve questions