Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle sleeve question

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle sleeve question

I have a 2012 Rubicon and I'm considering putting in the Nitro axle sleeves and welding just the ends. My question is around how far do the sleeves extend into the diff? Are they contacting the inner seal? Is there the possibility of the sleeve unseating the inner seal?

- S
Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdr0303
I have a 2012 Rubicon and I'm considering putting in the Nitro axle sleeves and welding just the ends. My question is around how far do the sleeves extend into the diff? Are they contacting the inner seal? Is there the possibility of the sleeve unseating the inner seal?

- S
First off... Boulder is awesome. So jealous. I went to college there.

I also have a 2012 Rubicon and didn't have any issues with the sleeves contacting the inner seal... at least as far as I know. Depending on fitment, I would say there's no need to weld in the ends. I spent about 10+ hammering those things in even after following the recommendations to freeze them beforehand and such. Really really really tight fit. The passenger side one didn't even go in all the way and we had to trim about 1/4 inch off with a dremel and cut off wheel.

Anyway, I suppose you will know whether or not welding is necessary depending on how tough the job is getting the sleeves hammered in. But I'd say nothing to worry about regarding the diff and inner seal.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
First off... Boulder is awesome. So jealous. I went to college there.I also have a 2012 Rubicon and didn't have any issues with the sleeves contacting the inner seal... at least as far as I know. Depending on fitment, I would say there's no need to weld in the ends. I spent about 10+ hammering those things in even after following the recommendations to freeze them beforehand and such. Really really really tight fit. The passenger side one didn't even go in all the way and we had to trim about 1/4 inch off with a dremel and cut off wheel.

Anyway, I suppose you will know whether or not welding is necessary depending on how tough the job is getting the sleeves hammered in. But I'd say nothing to worry about regarding the diff and inner seal.
Me too awesome place I miss going to breck every other day to get some riding in with my shady class scheduale and going out on the hill getting some of those breath busters at the smelly deli after a night of drunken ridiculousness at the sink. good times
Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

You could weld the end since it will be flush with the axle tube but not really needed
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

My bigger concern here is unseating the inner seal if the sleeve is just a little too long? Does anyone know if the sleeve is up against the inner seal in or something else?
Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not. I measured inside the axle tube and the sleeve itself and there is enough gap that it will not contact. At the time, I wanted to ensure the sleeve extended passed the tube/carrier housing weld to be useful.

I froze mine over night and also place a heater blowing onto/into the axle tube after disassembly, thus heating the tube. I also stuffed a rag down the axle tubel and then ran a sandpaper strip (like a flapper wheel) on my air "dremmel" down the first 6" or so of the tube to polish the inside (rest of my tube was nice and clean). Extract the rag with a long wire hooked on the end. With that combination, my 100lb wife was able to smack them in with about 7-8 hits while I held my pipe concoction used to hammer then in. Just flush with the outside.

IMHO, welding the ends is purely psychological but I'm sure opposing views will chime in.

Now would be a great time to do your gussets and ball joints if you haven't already. If your joints are stock, you already need new ones or will soon with larger tires and/or less backspaced rims.

Last edited by fredrok; 06-22-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Axle sleeve question