Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle sleeve install ??s

Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle sleeve install ??s

I am going to install EVO sleeves in my Rubicon. Ive got a bunch of questions....yes, Im a newbie. First off, the welding part is the easy part to me I think. Ive never removed an axle so its all new. Do you have to drain the diff oil? Do you have to remove the ring and pinion? Does the Dana 44 have seals on the inner side and outer side of axle tube? If so, does the inner seal need to be removed? If so how do you get it out of the axle tube, how do you get a new seal in there properly? I see the EVOs have grease fittings on the sleeves correct? Looking for a step by step to getting axle out and any other info I need to do this correctly. Like I said, welding it will be the easy part, lol....Im just not sure on what the axle inners look like. Im gonna see if I can find a drawing of it to see where the bearings and seals are, then figure out removal/installation......thanks guys
Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monkers
I am going to install EVO sleeves in my Rubicon. Ive got a bunch of questions....yes, Im a newbie. First off, the welding part is the easy part to me I think. Ive never removed an axle so its all new. Do you have to drain the diff oil? Do you have to remove the ring and pinion? Does the Dana 44 have seals on the inner side and outer side of axle tube? If so, does the inner seal need to be removed? If so how do you get it out of the axle tube, how do you get a new seal in there properly? I see the EVOs have grease fittings on the sleeves correct? Looking for a step by step to getting axle out and any other info I need to do this correctly. Like I said, welding it will be the easy part, lol....Im just not sure on what the axle inners look like. Im gonna see if I can find a drawing of it to see where the bearings and seals are, then figure out removal/installation......thanks guys

Sorry, can't answer your questions, but after reading up lately on the no-weld axle sleeve kits, I think this is something I may try this summer. Throw the axle sleeves in the deep freeze to get them nice and cold (can shrinkage be a good thing? ) and pick a nice hot day when the metal on the tube is warm (or even heat it up with a heat lamp, torch etc) and then pound them right in....supposedly. With my luck, mine will seize sticking out a foot....

Grant
Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks ZM, Im not regearing yet, but sh*t, I just installed diff covers with new fluid...ugh......Ill look at your build, thanks for the help
Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive only got 14,000 miles on it

Quick Reply: axle sleeve install ??s