Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle sleeve install recommendations

Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EAZY-E
I dont think the weight would be a concern, especially when you consider the added beef they add
Yeah....my thinking too.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bondsy
To add to these you may want to after drilling the wholes for the rosette welds, use a cow magnet or some type of high power magnet to extract the fillings from the inside axle housing.
I love the magnet suggestion. I was just pondering something along those lines before I saw you comment. I had a LOT of 1x1x2" N48 rare Earth magnets. I was figuring along your line of somehow inserting one of those into the tub to collect the fillings produced while drilling.

I still have yet to install my sleeves, they are just sitting in my garage on my work bench. I am working myself up (mentally) to handle this task. Once I can overcome the fear of junk working its way into the diff and bombing my gears then I will tackle it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

So try method 2......install sleeves into undrilled axle tubes and slowly drill through the axle tube. ****stop drilling when through the tube****the EVO's are 1/4" DOM.....i doubt you could easily drill through both. used compressed air or a shop-vac to get drill shavings out of hole and weld. There would be 0% chance of any shavings getting into the tube or housing.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Fly-Attack: Thanks for the input/advice.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Super Freak

So besides the promo video are there no other write-up or instructions?? I just picked up a set of EVO sleeves and am eager to get to installing them, but would like more info. The video is alright, seems funny that there isn't any instructions with them

EDIT: nevermind, I found them online

Last edited by mjolnir; 10-22-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a way easier way.

Slide the sleeves in first. Then drill the outer housing. Stop drilling when you get to the inner sleeves. This way all the shavings stay on the outside and don't get inside the tube.

Then weld up the drilled holes and around the tube ends.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.

Slide the sleeves in first. Then drill the outer housing. Stop drilling when you get to the inner sleeves. This way all the shavings stay on the outside and don't get inside the tube.

thanks for the tip, I will be using this method
Old 10-30-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.

sorry benchmark, but i have to disagree with you on this. you need to remember the skill levels of some people doing their own work. it takes a heavy drill to drill the 1/2" holes and if the person is not extremely careful, they would damage the new tubes

i personally installed the evo sleevs on my jk. the 1/2" holes that need to be drilled into the axle tube need to punch all the way through the tube to get a full 1/2" plug weld. to fully punch through, the sleeves need to be left out.

it is very simple, follow evo instructions with the rag and string stuffed into the axle tube pushed all the way to the diff. when holes are drilled, simply run some compressed air through a hole close to diff that was drilled, then pull the rag out. it iss very easy process

the drilling of the holes will be the hardest part, follow the evo instructions and u will be good to go.

if you have any questions to the OP, let me know and i will break down step by step of what i did (which was following evo's instruction)
Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
Recently a buddy and I welded c-gussets on my from axle knuckles, and considering the success of that project (and the fact that I have the sleeves already) I am beginning to think about welding the sleeves.

Any suggestions, pointers, or pitfalls from those of you who have gone the DIY route on welding sleeves?

Specifically, I am interested in suggestions on how to keep junk (welder flack, dust, etc) from entering into the differential while working on the axle tubes with the seals removed
also one more thing since u already welded on c-gussets.

check closely where u can drill the 1/2" holes, i installed evo gussets after the sleeves because a few of the holes for the sleeves end up under where the gussets mount.

hopefully should not be a problem for you, i'm sure you can relocate these holes since u already have gussets in
Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captjay
sorry benchmark, but i have to disagree with you on this. you need to remember the skill levels of some people doing their own work. it takes a heavy drill to drill the 1/2" holes and if the person is not extremely careful, they would damage the new tubes

i personally installed the evo sleevs on my jk. the 1/2" holes that need to be drilled into the axle tube need to punch all the way through the tube to get a full 1/2" plug weld. to fully punch through, the sleeves need to be left out.

it is very simple, follow evo instructions with the rag and string stuffed into the axle tube pushed all the way to the diff. when holes are drilled, simply run some compressed air through a hole close to diff that was drilled, then pull the rag out. it iss very easy process

the drilling of the holes will be the hardest part, follow the evo instructions and u will be good to go.

if you have any questions to the OP, let me know and i will break down step by step of what i did (which was following evo's instruction)
It's not hard at all. It's fine if you hit the inner sleeves a little with the tip of the drill bit, they're .219" thick. I've done a ton of sleeves this way and with a good cordless drill and sharp bits you can drill all the holes in 30 minutes. Then just turn up the heat on the welder and fill 'em up!

Quick Reply: Axle sleeve install recommendations