Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle sleeve install recommendations

Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the bombshell outer sleaves?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 AM
JK Freak

Check out this video on YouTube, this shows the install, looks like the best way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrWb...e_gdata_player

Thomas
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EAZY-E
what about the bombshell outer sleaves?
The RSE Outer sleeve comes in 3 sections and has notches cut for the OEM brackets. Just fit over your tube (pretty easy to figure what goes where with the notches cut) and weld.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
Check out this video on YouTube, this shows the install, looks like the best way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrWb...e_gdata_player

Thomas
Nice.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Fly-Attack: I noticed at the bottom of your posts that you have both the EVO inner axle sleeves and R-SE outer axle sleeves. I'm looking at a similar set-up but only want to do either the EVOs or the R-SE. I'm leaning towards the R-SE simply because I won't have to drop and drill my axle. Since you have both I wanted to get your thoughts. Also, do the R-SE sleeves get in the way of the EVO C2 gussets?
Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

I assume the outer sleaves would lower your ground clearence on the axles a bit, but are there any other drawbacks for an outer sleave?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack
Push a tight fitting shop rag into the axle tube with a wire or string tied to it. Then when you are finished drilling, shoot a good amount of brake cleaner into the tube from both the tube end and the hole drilled closest to the center section. then slowly pull the rag out.

other option would be to insert the sleeve. drill through the axle tube but not the sleeve. Be careful to not drill through the sleeve. you may drill into the sleeve just a bit.....this will privide a little dimple for the weld to grab onto. Use compressed air to blow out the drilled holes and clean before welding.

insert rag in sleeve before welding end. use 1st option above for cleaning. this will help clean splatter and etc....

Good luck
Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
On the drilling, if I understand correctly, is only for the EVO sleeves, correct? I went with the TeraFlex sleeves and they lack the grease nipple, and from what I can tell that should just slid right in and we start welding.

But, I do like the shop rag and brake cleaner suggestion. Thanks!

Keep them coming, the more the better
To add to these you may want to after drilling the wholes for the rosette welds, use a cow magnet or some type of high power magnet to extract the fillings from the inside axle housing.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by albertshannon
Fly-Attack: I noticed at the bottom of your posts that you have both the EVO inner axle sleeves and R-SE outer axle sleeves. I'm looking at a similar set-up but only want to do either the EVOs or the R-SE. I'm leaning towards the R-SE simply because I won't have to drop and drill my axle. Since you have both I wanted to get your thoughts. Also, do the R-SE sleeves get in the way of the EVO C2 gussets?
Thoughts?

If your looking at doing just one i would do the EVO inner sleeves. The RSE outer sleeve does not have complete coverage of the axle. ( top and backside of outer axle, under the spring perch out to the upper C is not covered ) it is however, completely covered on the bottom of the axle out to the bootom C's on each side, and acts more like a skid plate for the axle tubes. It will increase overall strength by i think 55%.

You will need to clearance either the RSE's or the bottom gussets. I choose to clearance the RSE. It doesn't need much.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EAZY-E
I assume the outer sleaves would lower your ground clearence on the axles a bit, but are there any other drawbacks for an outer sleave?
Ha......yeah. 1/4" to be exact. ( CNC cut .25" DOM )

I must say though that they are beef. the 1/4" lost in ground clearance will be made up for in rock and stump crushing steel

Only draw back i can see is the uncovered area as mentioned above. total weight is prob. 15-25 lbs.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack
Ha......yeah. 1/4" to be exact. ( CNC cut .25" DOM )

I must say though that they are beef. the 1/4" lost in ground clearance will be made up for in rock and stump crushing steel

Only draw back i can see is the uncovered area as mentioned above. total weight is prob. 15-25 lbs.
I dont think the weight would be a concern, especially when you consider the added beef they add

Quick Reply: Axle sleeve install recommendations